winterising

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Graham W

winterising

Postby Graham W » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:41 am

So you guys and girls oversea's seem to get colder snowier spells than here in the UK. Our winter last year was fairly cold and a few weeks of severe ice and snow.

They are predicting a harsher winter with more snow this year, so i thought id pick you experience and tips

Im running on Goodyear Wrangler HD tyres ( m+s 255/65R17 )
Dont think for our 'severe' UK weather here along the south coast i could justify having a spare set of heavy duty snow/mud tryes. I would if i lived in Scotlands highlands.

In the weather last year the Pathy seemed to manage ok on those boots, just.

So recommendations ? Snow socks?

Also how do you keep yours warm inside for jumping in? I did look at pre warmers, but wow what a price for a few months chilly mornings, allowing that ive still got my shorts on, but by other half is wrapped up like she's on her way to serve hot chocolate to the polar bears lol.

Ive sorted my rescue points for off road (See my other post), have a good tow rope which can double as a help for those driving out in their non snow cars day.
Any other good winterising tips from you guys used to proper snow and ice?

Cheers from the UK :-)

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:16 pm

If Snow tires are not strictly needed of course try to make it so your all season M+S tires are not overly old.

Battery. Have it checked for charge holding. I tend to run new AGM cells in my vehicles (AGM is also good for extreme heat)

Pumping up the tired.. When it gets old they ill have an effective lower pressure.

One can get a coolant tester quite cheaply which will check the coolants freeze resistance.

:D

Return to “R51 General Chat”