Need help with struts on 2008 PF

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Rtcase77

Need help with struts on 2008 PF

Postby Rtcase77 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:53 pm

Hello,

I hope someone is able to help or give me some suggestions about my struts. My pathfinder has orginally suspension and about 155,000 miles. In the past when I have replaced struts I normally order fully assembled unit for easy replacement. This time I ordered Bikstein B6 4600 shocks/struts. When I changed them I noticed the rubber spring seat which sits on top of the coil spring was in really bad shape on both sides. I drove my pf for about a week before the new spring seat and bushing kit showed up in the mail. Now for this week the vehicle acted fine and the suspension felt great. After I received the new kit which included a new rubber spring seat, rubber bushing, metal sleeve and washer. I will include a pic of the kit. I compressed the spring removed the bolt, washet, bushing, sleeve and rubber spring seat. I then put it back together with the new parts and reinstalled the shock. After doing this to both front struts I took it for a test drive and noticed when I would hit a bump or dip in the riad the front end bounced excessively. On average about 4 massive bounces. After driving it for a couple days I thought maybe the factory springs needed replaced so I whiched them out but had the same results. I started thinking about the rubber spring seat and the bushing kit. It was all identical to the faxtory pieces I removed with the exception of the spring seat. The factory one had a metal collar embedded inside which slide over the shaft and the new one was just a rubber hole no metal. I went to a local Nissan dealership and asked the about the metal piece in the factory spring seat and they had no idea what I was talking about. They showed me a diagram of what the strut should look like on a 2008 pf but that wasn't what mine looked like. The diagram which I've attached showes a rubber bushing before the spring seat and a second one before you put the the washer and bolt on. I explained that my factory one I removed was only spring seat, metal plate with 3 bolts on top, bushing, metal sleeve, washer and bolt. The tech looked at me and said he had no idea. This is crazy I'm having these issues on what should be an easy and straightforward replacement. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:32 am

Here's a really good picture of the assembly:

https://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f26 ... am-134113/

Yes it should have a crush sleeve, and that would probably leave to excessive bounce from the bushings acting more like a second spring. FYI the polyurethane bushing kit from 4x4parts.com comes with it too, as does their whole strut mount kit (includes a poly spring seat).

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:44 pm

Not sure I am clear on the question, but just installed Moog springs and the 4600's a couple of weeks ago.

My stock struts were so rusted, I didn't even bother taking them apart and used all new parts.

I bought this kit which included the metal sleeve.

https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k160444

If you don't have the sleeve, then I think it will cause things to move around. It centers the shaft from the strut in the top mount.

I also bought new mounts as well.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 00&jsn=270

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”