Sometimes I find myself eyeing 4runners but then...

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Sometimes I find myself eyeing 4runners but then...

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:39 pm

But then i realize that at a fraction of the cost the R51 is easily its equal.

The current Gen 4RUnner is still based on its 09 redesign despite the "refreshs"

A good condition R51 is still quite competitive with a brand new 4Runner in every category except curb appeal.

That is all :D
Last edited by palmerwmd on Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:59 pm

My issue with the 4runner and the Tacoma has always been the seating position and the bottom seat cushions. They aren't a very comfortable vehicle for anything more than a local trip. Parts also tend to be more expensive, on average, than Nissan parts. I'll stick with my R51!

00pathySE

Postby 00pathySE » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:30 am

No VQ power...forget it!!

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:23 pm

Agreed with 00pathySE. I had a 06 G35 back in the day and I gotta say, the VQ has got some balls when you floor it. Not only that it sounds great as well. Can't tell you how many people I've had in my truck who's surprised it's a V6.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:58 pm

I wanted a 4Runner but the seats are always too low to the ground. Can't get comfortable driving one. I've rented the latest Highlander on surfing trips and like it a lot, but it's not going to replace the Pathfinder as it's, well...a Highlander. It probably suits my needs better than the Pathfinder in 2018 but I don't like the idea of rolling up to the top of the mountain in one.

And now that I've had IRS in the Pathfinder with Bilsteins and whatnot for so long, riding in a friend's XTerra, 4Runner, or Tahoe down the highway just feels like too much of a compromise.

In Saudi Arabia, my government vehicle was a 2011 Ford Expedition with IRS and I liked the way it handled a lot. The engine however was badly underpowered and the traction control was ancient compared to the Pathfinder; one slight bump and it would seriously dial back throttle to compensate. If the new Expedition with the Ecoboost V-6 drives more like the Pathfinder...maybe someday.

Ford Explorer Sport has pull like the Pathfinder but doesn't quite drive like it...which some Bilsteins and other parts would probably fix. Mileage is about the same so it would be a one for one replacement in cost :-/ I rented a regular Explorer for a week and liked it, but the engine is super pedestrian.

Never, ever the R52. I also looked at Muranos when I got the Pathfinder but that CVT business doesn't do it for me.

weaver

Postby weaver » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:02 pm

On the 4runner: I was looking into those last fall (similar model years as R51) and every one I looked at had SEVERE rot on the frames or 2-3 layers of undercoating. Did some digging and found a MAJOR manufacturing flaw. Apparently the frames made in Mexico (contactracted to Dana IIRC) had botched processes in the 2nd &3rd coats of the anti-corrosion treatments. Therfore, frames, mounting points (for everything: susp,steering, body, fuel etc)were rotting, seriously compromising the safety of the truck. Owners had things breaking and falling off. Many weren't safe for the road, so they were "gronded". Folks had a truck they owed thousands of $ on and they could'nt drive them.(Sounds familiar,hmm...) Last look NHSB was looking into it and people were circling the wagons for a class action suit. No recall, no alerts on issue. Same issue on Tacomas, but Toyota offered to replace frame if owner paid 1rst $1000! It's not that a mistake was made, it's what's done about it (or not done in this case) Manufacturers (and people) need to be held accountable. I sure as heck am! Do it right. Check your work. Stand behind it. Simple, not frickin rocket science. I won't EVER even glance at any Toyota just because of they way they left people's rear in the wind.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:30 pm

Toyota did do a recall on some of the trucks. I had a 2003 Tacoma before my 06 Pathfinder and did receive a recall. In my case, my frame was in great shape, so they just had to clean it up and spray on a rust preventative coating. But I have seen frames on other Tacoma's and 4Runners that were severely rotted and ready to break! The recall did provide provisions for frame repairs and even replacements, depending on the extent of the damage. I believe the recall was voluntary, if I'm not mistaken, and had a time limit. Coincidentally, Nissan had similar problems with its Navara frames, which would rot and break right where the cab and bed meet; it hasn't been an issue on the Frontiers.

weaver

Postby weaver » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:57 pm

I need to correct myself. It's the NHTSA doing the investigation on 2002-2011 4runners. A lawsuit has been filed in DC late last year if I'm remembering right. Tacomas, Tundras and Sequoias were recalled. 05-2011 Tacomas recalled for the frame rust in 2016, but the 4Runner only had limited unpublicized service campaigns, and by the time people found their issue the clock had run out. Just seems sneaky on Toys part. I could be wrong, this is just what I remember.(NOOO, never wrong, not me! hardy har har) Thanks for the reply and info.I didn't know about the Navaras, WOW. My family has been involved in many Nissan recalls over the years and Nissan has always done the right thing, one of the reasons I finally got my Pathfinder this year :D

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:23 pm

smj999smj wrote:Coincidentally, Nissan had similar problems with its Navara frames, which would rot and break right where the cab and bed meet; it hasn't been an issue on the Frontiers.
I read the Nissan frame issue was because of the frames being churned out in the Spain factory so it affected whatever models came from that factory. The US ones were created here in the States.

Generalizing here, but I have heard that countries in the EU where it snows use a crap ton more salt whereas here in the states its a mix of salt and chemical treatment.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:11 pm

underworld1001 wrote:
smj999smj wrote:Coincidentally, Nissan had similar problems with its Navara frames, which would rot and break right where the cab and bed meet; it hasn't been an issue on the Frontiers.
I read the Nissan frame issue was because of the frames being churned out in the Spain factory so it affected whatever models came from that factory. The US ones were created here in the States.

Generalizing here, but I have heard that countries in the EU where it snows use a crap ton more salt whereas here in the states its a mix of salt and chemical treatment.
Yes, that's what I heard, too. There are plenty of pics of the Navaras that have had the frame break available on the web with a quick Google search.

Janvhirashe

Postby Janvhirashe » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:02 am

Thank you for the information it was very useful.

Tech Tool

Return to “R51 General Chat”