The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Rear pads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graham W

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Rear pads Reply with quote

Local garage drained flushed and refilled my brake fluid last week as seemed spongy. was better but not great. They also informed me the rear pads were low and one wheel was dragging just a little.

I ordered up a set of Brembo pads and last night set to the rears.
Jacked up the centre so i could remove both rear wheels.

job started as ....

Photo 27-09-2018, 17 07 03 by Gwoolie

After alot of stripping, cleaning and back together was.....

Photo 27-09-2018, 18 18 28 by Gwoolie

Photo 27-09-2018, 18 18 43 by Gwoolie

Whilst the wheels were off the frame got another coat of under seal and all the suspension joints ptfe greased.

The pedal feels loads better now and we seem to stop faster lol

My next project will be the rear droplinks. I think i saw on the interweb about some better quality HD ones ??

No Mods, Just added OEM Roof Cross bars, Towbar and secondary front rescue hooks and front LED lightbar. Oh and an electric fleece blanket for my GF as she feels the cold!
FLiPMaRC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Nice job!
palmerwmd
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes what he said Very Happy

2012 V6 4WD, in Grey over Grey
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the issues I've run into when greasing the guide pins on the rear brake calipers is that often the rubber bushing on the one pin expands and makes it impossible to push the pin back into the caliper mount. If you are going to replace the rear brake pads and lubricate the guide pins, save yourself a lot of headache and purchase a "guide pin boot kit," such as Wearever # 18021A which sells for $3 at Advanced Auto Parts, which includes four guide pin boots and two pin bushings (enough to do both the left and rear sides). Also, sticking guide pins are also a cause of uneven and/or premature pad wear, so it's a good idea, anyway, to service the guide pins (make sure you use grease meant for caliper guide pins or silicone grease).

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/wearever-disc-brake-caliper-guide-pin-boot-kit-18021a/3552926-P?searchTerm=brake+slide+pin+boot+kit
00pathySE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that pin boot go on the top or bottom? What's the point of that rubber bushing anyway and why only on the one pin?

Last edited by 00pathySE on Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Graham W

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i was lucky, the pin was tight to remove, but once cleaned and greased ( i use a cotton but down the tube to remove old grease without drying it out completely, all slid back in smoothly with no unwanted movements.

No Mods, Just added OEM Roof Cross bars, Towbar and secondary front rescue hooks and front LED lightbar. Oh and an electric fleece blanket for my GF as she feels the cold!
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

00pathySE wrote:
Does that pin boot go on the top or bottom? What's the point of that rubber bushing anyway and why only on the one pin?

All of the guide pins have a boot to keep out water and debris. On the R51 rear brakes, the top guide pen is all metal and the bottom pin has a recess for the rubber bushing. The bushing is used as an anti-rattle device.
00pathySE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smj999smj wrote:
00pathySE wrote:

All of the guide pins have a boot to keep out water and debris. On the R51 rear brakes, the top guide pen is all metal and the bottom pin has a recess for the rubber bushing. The bushing is used as an anti-rattle device.

Thanks! I always wondered about that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: