1998 SE 4x4 Automatic Transmission question

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Riderman

1998 SE 4x4 Automatic Transmission question

Postby Riderman » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:53 pm

My daughters 98 SE will not shift into second gear until the engine warms up, even on these warm day's. It has the 3.3 engine. I can get a transmission out of a 04 Xterra with a 3.3 engine. I'm told that it wont work. Anyone for sure why it wont work? I cannot find an answer.

Thanks

kentuckyboy94

Postby kentuckyboy94 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:14 pm

Anyone know? Because I have the same issue and have the same transmission with a 04 xterra tranny to put in! But will it work?

Riderman

Postby Riderman » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:17 am

My understanding is it will work. The wiring harness may be a little shorter I've read, and you might have to swap the rear bell housing with yours.

I fixed my shifting problem. I had no transmission codes to assist me or point to a problem. I changed transmission fluid, added Sea Foam trans tune, tried Lucas trans fix (I was desperate) and replaced the solenoid pack, nothing worked. I removed the valve body out of a 04 Xterra 2wd and put it in my 98 Pathfinder. It was $50.00 from pick N pull and included the solenoid pack. It shifts like a new one now. Transmission shop wanted 3 thousand bucks to rebuild my transmission, more if the valve body could not be rebuilt.

NOTE: Swapping out the valve body is an EASY job. There is a picture in the FSM which show what bolts to remove. There are two length's of bolt's. Print the picture and mark which holes the longer ones go in. The second issue is there are 3 shift accumulator springs which drop out with the valve body, they are 3 different sizes and are located on the driver's side of the transmission. The trick I used to get them back in was to start one long bolt in the passenger side center of the valve body. The driver's will then hang down several inches. Install the springs on the valve body and just push it up until it seats up into the transmission. Install a bolt on the drivers side to hold it up. Took my about an hour and a half total from start to finish. When the valve body is down you can replace the o rings on the 4 shift accumulator piston's if you desire, they are easily accessible at that point.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”