Suspension upgrade help

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

604Allstar

Suspension upgrade help

Postby 604Allstar » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:39 am

I just purchased a 2005 Pathfinder which had a broken rear spring. Since I need to replace this spring I figured it would be a good time to do a minor lift to the vehicle. I am only looking for a small lift approx 2" as I don't want to run into any bigger potential issues. I don't do any towing but do go camping/hunting a few times a year and can have the truck loaded with a few hundred lbs.

I'm leaning towards a full Old Man Emu setup but open to suggestions.

Front Strut - OME (OME90003) 
Front Coil - OME (Med 2607 or HD2608)
Rear Shock - Old Man Emu NitroCharger Sport Shock - Old Man Emu #60016
Rear Spring - OME (Med2609 or HD2610)

or 

Front Strut - Rancho QuickLift LOADED (RS999922 + RS999938)

Questions

1. If i want no rake and a level look to the vehicle will I need any spacers for either setup?
(on my Qx4 i needed a spacer in the front but it sounds like most people have said with the R51 they have used spacers in the rear to level the look)

2. I'm leaning towards Medium springs on all 4 corners since i don't tow and this will be my daily driver. Would 2 Med springs and 2 HD springs make the vehicle look more level?

3. Will I need Camber adjustment bolts?

4. Should I also put in a Airlift1000? Yes or No?

5. I'm going to order new strut/shock bolts, any other parts recommended replacing? (Strut bearings, strut mount)?

6. I see Old Man Emu has a spring fitting kit (Old Man Emu SMP638) anyone know what this is/does?

Cheers,

SDGuero

Re: Suspension upgrade help

Postby SDGuero » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:46 pm

604Allstar wrote:I just purchased a 2005 Pathfinder which had a broken rear spring. Since I need to replace this spring I figured it would be a good time to do a minor lift to the vehicle. I am only looking for a small lift approx 2" as I don't want to run into any bigger potential issues. I don't do any towing but do go camping/hunting a few times a year and can have the truck loaded with a few hundred lbs.

I'm leaning towards a full Old Man Emu setup but open to suggestions.

Front Strut - OME (OME90003) 
Front Coil - OME (Med 2607 or HD2608)

or 

Front Strut - Rancho QuickLift LOADED (RS999922 + RS999938)

Questions

1. If i want no rake and a level look to the vehicle will I need any spacers for either setup?
(on my Qx4 i needed a spacer in the front but it sounds like most people have said with the R51 they have used spacers in the rear to level the look)

2. I'm leaning towards Medium springs on all 4 corners since i don't tow and this will be my daily driver. Would 2 Med springs and 2 HD springs make the vehicle look more level?

3. Will I need Camber adjustment bolts?

4. Should I also put in a Airlift1000? Yes or No?

5. I'm going to order new strut/shock bolts, any other parts recommended replacing? (Strut bearings, strut mount)?

6. I see Old Man Emu has a spring fitting kit (Old Man Emu SMP638) anyone know what this is/does?

Cheers,
These are all great questions that I'd love to know the answers too as well...

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:01 pm

1. This post may help -- http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... t=ome#3462

2. The spring rate will be more firm, but not necessarily raise the vehicle higher.

3. I'd get them as a just in case, but maybe someone more knowledgeable in lifts can chime in.

4. For the price, it wouldn't hurt to have them in there. I personally only run Moog replacement springs (which are more HD than stock), but that's because I spend a lot of time on the highway. If you don't need it, air it down, and if you do, air it up.

5. I replaced the F/R struts and springs without replacing the rubber mounts. Don't make that mistake. I went back last weekend and replaced the 4 rear rubber spring seats (55036-7S000) and there is a slight, but noticable difference in how bumps are soaked up with the new ones vs the old 100k mile ones that were on there. Gonna have to do the fronts this weekend using the KYB kit. Yay.......

6. Probably the hardware like poly mounts for the springs/struts. Did a quick search and that's the only thing that popped up.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:05 pm

I haven’t been on here for a while but as far from experience there are cheaper alternatives to what you have listed.

From rockauto.com
Armada rear springs will give you a firmer ride and lift the vehicle about 1.5†maybe settle at 1†but will squat less. If you stuff the airlift bags in there I think you will get the full 2†lift but I would start with that. You can still run those old emu shocks or contact nissteclifts.com for longer ones that will fit.

The front you can get bilstien 5100s with adjustable clips keeping the stock springs.
Only reason you would want to upgrade front springs is if you were adding a winch bumper.

Browse around the nisstec website and you can give them a call. They hve multiple options.

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:56 am

Just in case you go with oem (not ome) coils and that you're looking for an afordable solution, I do now have an offer for R51 lift kits. 2.5" and smaller 1.5" lifts. http://www.sfcreation.com

Cheers,.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”