New Guy

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

RogueFinder

New Guy

Postby RogueFinder » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:04 am

Hello. Have an 05, SE Off-Road. Looking to make some economical mods to make it more weekend warrior "utility" than family truckster. Even as all factory original, I do take it off-road frequently and it has fared fairly well. Except that one time with swampy mud, which also claimed 2 x Chevy P/up 4x4 "rescue vehicles" and required a small backhoe to recover all three!

Will be looking for suggestions on lift kits, bumpers and flexible mud guards.

Thanks!
T

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Sir welcome!

Do you have any automatic transmission?
If so the first mod I suggest is a replacement of the radiator.

the 05-09 (and ot alesser extent 10s) were vulnerable to a condition called SMOD, strawberry milkshake of death.

The seals in th factory heat exchanger fom transmission to radiator would at times fail.. the result was a destroyed transmission.

My advice is to replace he radiator / a new one (for any 05 probably not a bad idea anyway even if the SMOD issue did not exist)

Next mod, a OSIRIs UPREV dyno tune. Will find extra torque and HP and also make your powwercurve a bit fatter.
Local speed shops can do it for you.
Freind of mine gained 14 hp and 15 lbft from that ona VQ engine ( 3.5L version..... so maybe there is more room in our 4.0 L VQs
Last edited by palmerwmd on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:54 pm

At that mileage your bushing are probably shot. I'd recommend replacing the sway bar bushings as a quick cheap fix (front and rears). Do the end links as well.

If you don't have any skid plates and are looking for some cheap underbody protection you can usually find them pretty inexpensive for the OEM ones though they aren't as HD as you'd think. You can read more here -- http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=50

There are a few threads regarding the suspension and upgrading with Bilsteins and Moog springs combo and others using the OME and Rancho setup. Note the ride will get much firmer if you do all 4 wheels. The rear is the squishiest so I'd start there. If you're gonna tow, invest in the AirLift air bags in the rear.

Ditto on the replacing the radiator comment. I'd do that MUCH sooner than later.

If you need a little more power, theres a free airbox mod that you can do that might give you 1HP :D or the intake manifold spacer helps as well -- http://extremetruckperformance.com/?page_id=6. Just do the pedal dance to reset the ECU. http://forums.nicoclub.com/reset-ecu-ac ... 95740.html. The link is for Infinitis, but it works for the Nissans as well.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:27 pm

It's an SE-OR, so it should already have the factory skid plates unless someone took them off.

RogueFinder

Postby RogueFinder » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:06 am

Thank you for the tips to start me off. My 'finder is an auto and all skid plates are still in place. I have already replaced the radiator--though a SMOD victim and out of warranty, OUCH. I need to get my engine back up to tip-top then on to suspension and cosmetics. Having an oil pressure and cooling problem I need to get sorted. I will post about my oil pressure in the right forum and scan thru the cooling posts.

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”