Questions about changing 2001 Pathfinder break pads

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

darragh3277

Questions about changing 2001 Pathfinder break pads

Postby darragh3277 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:34 pm

Hi all,

I'm hoping to change my front brake pads on my 2001 Pathfinder LE. I've found some youtube videos to follow and it seems pretty straight

I'm going to buy the pads in Canadian Tire, they have several brands at a lot of different price points. From what I can tell they all have to meet a minimum standard. Is there anything I should watch out for when choosing brake pads to buy?

What tools do I need and are there any pitfalls I should watch out for?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:42 pm

If you are just replacing the pads, just basic, metric tools are all you really need, plus a way of pressing the pistons back into the caliper. You can use a C-clamp and press on the old pad or a block of wood, or you can spend $15-20 and get a brake piston tool to do the job. If the master cylinder is full, you may want to suck out some of the fluid before pressing in the piston back in. You can use a turkey baster or, if you have one, a vacuum brake bleeder, to do the job. IIRC, the caliper bolts are 14MM. To do the job, you should use a torque wrench on the bolts, but may people don't, trusting their "feel" for "tight enough." You should also get a small wire brush so you can clean up the inside of the caliper and the mount bracket.
As far as pads, you get what you pay for most of the time. Cheaper pads are generally made from organic materials, can produce a lot of dust, but stop sufficiently. Metallic pads will tend to stop better, but can produce a lot of noise, especially at low speeds and when cold. After they heat up, they are usually not too bad. Ceramics are what most vehicles come with today. They stop well, hot or cold, usually don't create a lot of dust and if properly installed and broken in, usually don't have squeaking issues. A good set of pads will usually set you back around $65 US. Most premium pads will come with new hardware and often brake grease, used to lube the abutment clips and the metal back of the pads before installing. You also need to make sure the slide pins are not seized or binding.
If the rotors are good shape and you don't feel any pulsating when braking, you can usually get away with scuffing up the rotor surface with some sand paper. Better would be to replace the brake rotors with new ones. The Power Stop Z36 pad and rotor set would be a nice upgrade to stock, but you may not want to pay that much. Wagner pads are good stock replacement. I'm not familiar with the MotoMaster line, personally, so I can't give an opinion. I usually deal with Rockauto.com. There, the Akebono Pro ACT ceramic pads and the Raybestos Professional Series Ceramics or Advanced Technology pads are both great choices.

PatsFan

Postby PatsFan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:36 am

I just put the Powerstop Z23 rotors and pads on my 2000 Pathfinder.
The slotted rotors are probably more than I needed but I got the set for $149 on amazon with free shipping and I am really happy with them.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:56 pm

Darag and Patsfan:

Welcome to TheNissanPath!!! your new hangout!!! :D

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”