RADIATOR LEAK

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Wes

RADIATOR LEAK

Postby Wes » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:33 am

My radiator has developed a leak after 209,000 miles. Bummer. Can I replace this with just any radiator off of Rock Auto? Mechanic want's approx $360 to replace. Rockauto wants $80 for a Radiator. Job doesn't look hard at all. Drain. Replace. Fill.

I am guessing it would be wise to do a flush n fill after the replacement? Any suggestions before moving forward?

2001 Nissan Pathfinder, 3.5 LE, 209k.

Wes

Postby Wes » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:16 pm

just read that my Automatic has a tranny tube running through the radiator to cool the tranny fluid. Found a good video on the subject that might help others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVQRA0ZQruM

But still any advice is appreciated.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:02 pm

Most aftermarket radiator work quite well just dont get the cheapest one.

Most aftermarket rads are about 100 dollars...

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:06 pm

Wes wrote:just read that my Automatic has a tranny tube running through the radiator to cool the tranny fluid. Found a good video on the subject that might help others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVQRA0ZQruM

But still any advice is appreciated.
PS: That looks like a great vid!
And dont feel too bad about needed a new radiator.
At 209,000 miles you definitely got your moneys worth out of it.

Wes

Postby Wes » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:18 am

Would you suggest replacing the thermostat while I am doing this process? Seems like a good idea. It looks like a real pain in the arse, but I figure do it know or do a lot of the same stuff again later.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:47 pm

The thermostat isn't that bad with the radiator and fans out of the way. The thermostat and housing are one assembly. Remove the three bolts and pull the thermostat housing assembly out and remove the gasket. You may need to use a Scotch pad or some steel wool to clean up the mounting surface. I would recommend you get the thermostat and gasket from Nissan. I usually spray the metal gasket with some Permatex Copper Spray gasket before installing. When I replaced my radiators, I also purchased new foam seals from Nissan. They aren't that expensive. You can do it without the seals and it'll be fine, but I'm just picky when it comes to my stuff!

Wes

Postby Wes » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:00 pm

Foam seals? Where do these foam seals exist? I know only what YouTube tells me.

Edit - are you refering to the foam between radiator and condenser? I am guessing so. I will have to take a peek under the hood and see what is there.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:31 am

Wes wrote:Foam seals? Where do these foam seals exist? I know only what YouTube tells me.

Edit - are you refering to the foam between radiator and condenser? I am guessing so. I will have to take a peek under the hood and see what is there.
Never mind about the seals. I forgot you had an R50 and not an R51 Pathfinder. R50's only had one foam seal, P/N 21496-0W000, at the top tank, but it has been discontinued.

Wes

Postby Wes » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:04 am

That foam seal at the top of mine disintegrated a number of years ago. There was barely any evidence it was there.

If you are reading this and thinking of changing your radiator here are a couple things I wish I had known.

1. I wanted to change my thermostat while I was in there. I got one but it was the wrong one. There are two on this car and No one had the one that sits at the front of the engine block in stock in my area. Not even Nissan. Plan ahead. It is attached to the outlet and sold that way.

2. Refilling is not as easy as I would have liked. I think part of the problem is that I didnt figure out until late that my breather tube was clogged. I drained about a gallon from the sytem when replacing the raditor and used 3 putting it back together.

3. Turns out coolant is a decent engine cleaner.

I will not be getting any environmental awards for this project. Although it did save me about $500 doing it myself.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”