P0442 - EVAP system failure

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

paradigm

P0442 - EVAP system failure

Postby paradigm » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:21 am

My 2010 4.0 Pathfinder LE has been giving me the P0442 EVAP failure issue since the summer. I changed the gas cap with a new aftermarket from rock auto and the problem persists. Any other common reasons for the cause on these trucks?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: P0442 - EVAP system failure

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:59 pm

paradigm wrote:My 2010 4.0 Pathfinder LE has been giving me the P0442 EVAP failure issue since the summer. I changed the gas cap with a new aftermarket from rock auto and the problem persists. Any other common reasons for the cause on these trucks?
sometimes it just is what the code says..

Tip go to a decent independent. The dealer will want lots of $$ :oops:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:31 am

It can be any of a number of things, but many times it's the evaporative emission system vent control valve that is the problem. The valve can stick open, causing a leak code during testing. Eventually, this can lead to dirt building up in the vapor canister. The valve, itself, has been updated with a more powerful actuator to better seal the system. The valve sells for around $80 from Rockauto.com:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 53&jsn=381

The valve is on top of the vapor canister, which sits behind a plastic liner behind the left, rear wheel. If you want to learn about the testing procedure for code P0442, you can download service bulletin NTB09-020a a from NissanHelp.com:

https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/local_l ... &keyid=139

paradigm

Postby paradigm » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:39 pm

smj999smj wrote:It can be any of a number of things, but many times it's the evaporative emission system vent control valve that is the problem. The valve can stick open, causing a leak code during testing. Eventually, this can lead to dirt building up in the vapor canister. The valve, itself, has been updated with a more powerful actuator to better seal the system. The valve sells for around $80 from Rockauto.com:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 53&jsn=381

The valve is on top of the vapor canister, which sits behind a plastic liner behind the left, rear wheel. If you want to learn about the testing procedure for code P0442, you can download service bulletin NTB09-020a a from NissanHelp.com:

https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/local_l ... &keyid=139
Thanks, I am going to try and replace the vent valve this weekend. But first I am going to clean the hose between the valve and ambient to see if that helps.

Is it difficult to access this valve from the left rear wheel well? Or do I need to go under the vehicle?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:12 pm

You have to remove the left rear wheel and remove the plastic panel in front of the canister from inside the wheel well. You will also have to go under the vehicle. There's a 12MM head bolt that, once removed, allows the canister lower down so you have access to the top of the canister. Dirt likes to get under the release tabs of the harness connectors, so some compressed air may help to blow out the dirt before attempting to disconnect the connectors.

TheHawk!

Postby TheHawk! » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:00 pm

as SMJ said, Its more than likely the valve (95%) of the time but depending on how much dirt is in the canister it may need a EVAP canister also because once it gets stopped up it will set the same DTC!

paradigm

Postby paradigm » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:54 am

Thanks for the advice guys. Replaced the canister vent valve, and the code finally went away.

Getting the vent valve solenoid replaced was a PITA however. The bolts that keep the canister up in the frame siezed and broke when I attempted to take down the canister; so I had to end up using zipties to put it back. Secondly getting the new valve was very difficult, needed to be greased up before it could turn and lock in.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:06 pm

Yeah, that's pretty typical...along with plenty of dirt from being located behind the rear wheel!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”