2008 Pathfinder ignition coils suggestions

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Louis808

2008 Pathfinder ignition coils suggestions

Postby Louis808 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:06 am

Aloha All
I’m fairly new here. I have a 2008 Pathfinder LE, 117,000 Miles. I need to change my #3 spark plug due to a code reading saying it’s misfiring—it sure is. Feels like it’s running on 5 cylinders. So, I’m just gonna change all spark plugs with the NGK PLFR5A-11. Thanks to everyone’s help here for the unanimous recommendation for this plug.
I’m seriously considering changing all 6 ignition coils along with the spark plugs. Does anyone have a strong recommendation on which brand ofcoils to purchase? I know they are PRICEY 😪😪😪.
I don’t want to burn a hole in my pocket, but I do want a good reliable brand.
Any help to a brand and the best place to purchase them would be much appreciated.

Btw—SMJ here with the red Pathy—knows what the heck he/she is talking about. I have taken all the sound advice. And it has ALL BEEN TRUE AND SUCCESSFUL according to what advice was given. Jus’ being REAL!!!

Much Mahalo in advance
Means Thank You here in Hawaii🤙ðŸ½

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:15 am

Me, personally, I would just replace the one coil pack. Unlike some vehicles, or even some Nissans, the coil packs on the VQ40DE are fairly reliable. I have 190,000 miles on my 06 Pathy and 235,000 miles on my 08 Pathy and still have all of the original coil packs on them and they are doing fine.

Anyway, to answer your question, I prefer to stick with genuine Nissan parts in most cases, however, Rockauto.com has both NGK and Hitachi coils at their site and both are OE supplier of ignition components to Nissan.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:12 am

Louis,

welcome to the board!!
yes SMJ is our most valued asset here providing content! :D

Please followup with us on the outcome of this job!

Louis808

Postby Louis808 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:37 pm

Aloha SMJ & Palmerwmd
Thank you both for such a prompt reply. Sounds good—I will purchase just the #3 coil pack along with the 6 NGK plugs.
Btw on a side note. I did get the start of the contamination of the radiator coolant in the transmission 😭😭😭. My folks were here in Hawaii to visit so I went to check all the fluids in my Pathy. You guessed it, found the banana pudding in my coolant reservoir. Unfortunately I have a 2008 with 117,000 miles on it so warranty won’t cover it at this point.
Long story short, I DID NOT MOVE MY PATHY!!! Say it where it was. Ordered a new Delxo radiator, new radiator and reservoir caps, new upper and lower radiator hoses, serpentine belt, tensioner pulley, throttle body gasket.
I must have read hundreds of horror stories about this failure and 99.9% of the time the tranny is gonna need replacing.
However, for me, I drained the tranny pan fluid, took it off, cleaned it well, changed to a new trans filter and new gasket, added Lubegard synthetic flush additive. And I must have used 6 gallons of the Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic trans fluid. Expensive—-but what the heck. I purged the h€$$ out of the old transfluid. I used a 4 qt acrylic clear pitcher as my drain receptical. I was pleasantly surprised I only had approx 3-4 qts of the slightly slushy strawberry looking fluid that came from my trans. The rest of the fluid was just dark red as I kept a close tab on refilling the exact amount of transfluid that I had purged out. Approx 1 year ago i took my Pathy to Goodyear and had ALL FLUIDS either pressure flushed or changed. I’ve always been a firm believer as my dad taught me—“you take care of it, it will take care of youâ€.
After replacing all of the above, radiator, hoses, etc, I put in the Lubegard synthetic protectant (there were 2 different bottles). Guess where MOST OF THAT PUDDING crap was—-in my coolant reservoir on the passengers side engine compartment. And what a PITA it was to get it all out. I used everything from simple green, dawn dishwashing detergent to liquid Mr Clean. And I finally got all of that pudding out.
Since the above I have driven my Pathy up over the mountain daily to work, so far—so good. BUT——-I know inevitably the trans could start acting up, I’m crossing my fingers and toes I “might†be one of the lucky ones that caught it before the mixing caused serious irreversible damage. Praying and hoping anyway.
Sorry for the long narrative, but just wanted you to know my experience with the dreaded “coolant/trans fluid†horror. I love my Pathy. Bought it new. 2008 LE, burgundy leather, all the bells and whistles. I bought it over a Lexus and a Four Runner (tin cans). Pathys are strong, stout, lots of power, torque, an my wife feels much safer in it than she did when she test drove the Toyota or Lexus. I have NOT HAD ANY OTHER MAJOR ISSUES with my Pathy all these years except the expected general maintenance things.
So, for those ppl talking crap, remember “you take care of it, it will take care of youâ€
My previous Mazda, 2 Honda accords, 62 VW ragtop is proof of that.

Thanks for your time, expertise and patience
I will keep you posted

Mahalo Nui Loa
(Thanks, until we meet again)

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:34 pm

Its great to have you.
If you have a lot of miles since thta happened why not post it in our R51 powertrain forum as its own success story thread? :D

Louis808

Postby Louis808 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:08 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will surely do that. I will keep you both posted if anything comes up.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”