Advice: Looking at a 2008 Pathfinder SE that I may purchase

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

jpoprock

Advice: Looking at a 2008 Pathfinder SE that I may purchase

Postby jpoprock » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:56 am

Hey all,

I found a really nice and clean Pathfinder for sale near me. It has 190k miles on it and they are asking $3995. I've been reading about this radiator problem and wondered how I might be able to tell if the radiator on it now has been replaced with one that isn't known to fail? I suppose I could order a Carfax report on it, but I think those reports are only good if the work has been done by a dealer no? The last thing I want is to buy a vehicle and then have to put a new transmission in it that costs more than I paid for the vehicle!

I was curious what other common problems there are with this model so I can have my mechanic look it over? On my 2002 Ford Explorer Limited, pretty much every single problem that those things are known for, I've had. I've dumped quite a bit of money into that thing over the years. I've owned it for 14years and it has 290k miles on it.

I just don't want another money pit. I can understand that with a used car anything can happen. I'm just trying to avoid big ticket items if at all possible.

Thank you!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:20 am

You can check the parts numbers on the radiator.
Its on the right corner of the radiator on the black plastic.

There is a list of part umbers on here somewhere and you can look if you have one of the "bad" numbers.

If your radiator has not been replaced and its an 08 that's a near certainty. But if there is no part number at all listed it might be aftermarket (good) the replacement Nissan radiator are also good to go.

Also open the radiator cap (when cold of course) and look under it.. if you see strawberry milkshake like goo then that's a sign its going out.
If u see none of the goo and the vehicle drives well and the transmission shift well then IMO its likely worth buying.

If rad is old but no good and shits well then put in new rad...
Radiators e round 100 bucks but labor is bit more than normal on this truck for rad replacemnt

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:04 am

Listen for a "whining" noise from the engine. If it makes this noise, you may have to have the upper timing chains replaced, another common problem with these Pathfinders.

Return to “General Automotive”