Engine swap compatibility, could use your guys input.

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

IRONFIST

Engine swap compatibility, could use your guys input.

Postby IRONFIST » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:20 am

I'm swapping a VQ35 from a 2003 Pathfinder into a 2002 vehicle. The 2003 has drive by wire so the throttle body on the 2002 needs to be swapped over, but the intake manifold looks the same to me. Also I'm told the crankshaft position sensor is located differently so the upper oil pan will need to be swapped over and I will reuse my old flex-plate.
These things make sense.
But, I'm getting mixed advice on the timing cover, and camshaft position sensors. I was told the camshaft position sensors are located differently so I will need to swap over my timing cover, but on inspection they look to be in the exact same place. The sensors themselves are clearly different, but I don't see why I'm being told to swap the timing chain cover. Has anyone done this swap?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:43 pm

I would go to a site like NissanPartsDeal.com and look up the part #'s for the timing covers for a 2003 and 2002 Pathfinder. If the numbers are the same, the covers are the same. If they are different, then there is obviously something different between the two and you will likely need to swap them.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”