Front creaking over bumps squeaking when turning sharply

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

paradigm

Front creaking over bumps squeaking when turning sharply

Postby paradigm » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:17 am

I am getting a creaking from my front end over bumps and a squealing / creaking when doing sharp turns during parking.

Any idea what would be causing this?

2010 Pathfinder LE 4.0 with 88k miles on it.

Thanks

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:15 pm

I have the same issue. At first I thought it was the front sway bar bushing so I replaced those with OEM along with the end links. Helped, but not quite enough. Not sure if it's the front body mounts, but from posts I've read on here, it seem s like it. Gonna give that a shot and see if it helps.

paradigm

Postby paradigm » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:54 am

I noticed as the weather gets colder, the bushings are more likely to make this creaking noise. It has gotten pretty bad now with the winter. It sounds horrible over bumps.

paradigm

Postby paradigm » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:59 am

Well with this extreme cold weather the noise has gotten extremely bad.

I changed the end links and front stabilizer bushings, and that didn't cure the issue.

Mechanic says it can be the upper and/or lower ball joints, as well as the tie rod ends. Even then he says it may be something else. Not sure if I should believe him or if there is a better way to tell (perhaps using a scope whiles someone is turning the wheel?).

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:00 pm

I know there's a way to test the body bushings, at least the front ones. If I'm not mistaken it's right next to the tow hook (I think) and one on the opposite side of it. I think you can get a screwdriver and push around in there to see if the bushing moves. Not 100% certain as this is from a rough recollection.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:15 pm

underworld1001 wrote:I know there's a way to test the body bushings, at least the front ones. If I'm not mistaken it's right next to the tow hook (I think) and one on the opposite side of it. I think you can get a screwdriver and push around in there to see if the bushing moves. Not 100% certain as this is from a rough recollection.
You have to find a good place to jack up on the body and see if it lifts off of the frame.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”