Leveling Kit Question

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

ghall13

Leveling Kit Question

Postby ghall13 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:42 am

The time has come for some new tires. I have done some extensive research and decided to go with 285/70/r17 Yokohama Geolanders due to the fact that I have to take longer road trips for work and have to be able to get through some rough terrain and mud holes to get to work sites. The Yokohama's seem to have better ratings for rougher road conditions than other all terrain tires but that's not why I am posting...

I have ordered and will be installing new moog coil springs and blistein shocks in the back to try and remedy the awful factory suspension. The factory suspension has become especially noticeable since the I added a few ponies to the stable with my CAI. That rear gets loose even when I'm passing and not just going from a complete stop.

I would love some advice for making the installation process easier or additional parts I may have missed that need to go on to accompany these new additions. From what I have read, the new coils and shocks should give plenty of clearance for the new tires in the rear but what about the front? The tires are going to be 32.7 inches. Could I get away with just putting spacers on the front? Do I need to get a leveling kit for the front? Do I need both the spacers and the leveling kit? What leveling kits have you had luck with on the R51? Like I said, most of my driving is on the road but I have to get through some rough areas for work.

Thanks people.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:45 pm

The Bilsteins don't provide any additional lift to the vehicle in the rear as they are stock replacements. The Moog rear coil springs are also a stock replacement and not designed to provide additional lift to the rear of the vehicle, however, the are a bit stiffer and don't sag like the factory units. They may lift the rear about 1/2" initially, but should settle down with a little time. So, removing the shocks and springs out of the equation, you just need to find out if the 285/70R17 tires will fit without issues. So, the 285/70R17 will be 2-inches taller than the stock sized, P265/65R17, and also almost an inch wider. It will cause the speedometer to read 4 MPH less than the actual speed at 60 MPH.
From what I've heard, the 285/70R17 will physically fit on the stock R51, however it is tight. Rubbing against the inner fender liner can occur under certain turns on uneven ground when the weight is shifted over onto one side. There are a number of threads on bigger tire sizes on R51's, so you may want to do a web search for more info if using the search tool on this site doesn't provide you with enough information.

ghall13

Thanks!

Postby ghall13 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:48 pm

Thanks for the advice. They should fit fine in the rear. May give it a different stance if I have to lift the front too much but I might like that... We will see.

Is there a lift/ adjustable lift that is preferred over others for the front? I will have it taken to the shop and have the speedometer and headlights adjusted to compensate of course.

TheHawk!

Postby TheHawk! » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:02 pm

New springs and blisters should make a noticeable difference on how it drives. The bushings in the suspension rot/tear overtime and the slightest amount of play in anything adds up quick and it will be all over the road! The order 50 Pathfinders were notorious for the rear trailing arms the bushings wood rot break over Tom and after a while you couldnt keep ioe o this things in the lane after hitting a bump/pothole. The airlift airsprings make a huge difference on not only the ride quality but handling as well, I would highly suggest them if you’re doing some other suspension work I have 35 1250s with a 2 inch old man emu lift and the airlift help her bags in The rear and mie is wayyyyyy better riding driving than a stock/new Juan as long as you run a separate line for each side don’t see them together it’ll drive better than I did new as long as your bushings are OK in the arms

ghall13

Update

Postby ghall13 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:35 am

Installed the new 275/70/r17s shoes on the pathy at a family friends recently. They look awesome and have yet to have any issues with rub. I haven't taken it into to many sticky situations either but we have had a bunch of rain down here in Alabama and she has handled beautifully on and off the road. Still may add leveling kit. The tires look a little stuffed under there!

I have to go check pig traps today so she will likely get muddy and maybe a little bloody if all works out. I will try and get a pic on here later after play time is over.

Thanks again for the advice and always responding no matter how silly the post is!

Return to “General Automotive”