Why do L92/LS3 heads tend to disappoint so often?

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Wanard

Why do L92/LS3 heads tend to disappoint so often?

Postby Wanard » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:59 am

From the very begining ive never understood the 'hype' about the new GM ls3 engine, ten years after the gen III ls6 making 400hp, GM came out with the 6.2liter brother making 426hp. 26 more horsepower with 30 m ore cubes just doesnt strike me as that impressive to begin with, that being said, the biggest change to this version of the ls3 engines is the 'l92' head that they come with. With 260cc intake ports, big valves, offset rockers and excellent flow numbers even from the factory, you'd think these would be the head to have. The more time i spend online and at the track, the more i find guys going no faster, or even going slower when swapping these heads onto various LS2 and 6.0 variants from the old cathedral port style. I know this is a very broad and vague question, but what comes to my mind is back in the 70's when the 4v cleveland heads were supposed to be the 'hot ticket' but many of the guys that switched to them saw no improvements. Anybody have any thoughts as to why this seems to be so common https://mechanicfaq.com/ls3-intake-manifold/ ?

Return to “General Automotive”