Zero Compression

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Pranit6

Zero Compression

Postby Pranit6 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:25 am

Hello everyone,,
I picked up a 06 pathfinder 150K miles from a woman that didn't want to spend any more money on it.

It turns over but won't fire. Compression check on 1,2,4 zero compression

I opened the timing chain cover and TutuApp Lucky Patcher Kodi it appear that the chain may have jumped a tooth or two. the Timing tensioner is all the way extended.

I'm thinking about replacing he chain, guides, tensioner, and water pump.
Then I plan to hand turn it over to see if if binds up due to a bend valve.

Thoughts

What are the odds it has a bent a valve...???
Last edited by Pranit6 on Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:50 am

It is an interference engine. If it jumped timing while she was driving, it probably bent some valve (most likely exhaust side). If it jumped when she was trying to start it or when it was idling, there's a chance it may be okay.
What happened on some of the VQ40DE engines made 2005-2010 is that sharped edges may have been left on the upper timing chain links due to worn stamping dies. If they had the sharp edges, they would cut into the plastic timing chain tensioners until eventually they contacted the steel tensioner plunger. Usually this takes a long time to occur (to the point where the chain jumps) and a very noticeable whining noise was likely present for a while. There was a TSB on the noise concern caused by the chain cutting into the guides, but unfortunately it appears she just let it go.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:30 am

Pranit,

can you update us what the outcome of your issue was?
:D

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”