Backup Camera on license plate - 2005 Pathfinder

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

stefanzman

Backup Camera on license plate - 2005 Pathfinder

Postby stefanzman » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:33 pm

Hi all,

I just installed a new Pioneer double Din head unit in my 2005 Pathfinder (replacing Bose Radio with 6-disk changer). It was only a mild pain in the butt with exception of the antenna adapter / reception problem and the BLUE WIRE.

Anyway, that is another topic I will post later.

As pat of the install, I attached a wireless video transmitter to the Pioneer's rear camera input. Now I am trying to figure out how to hook the power to the camera from one of the reverse lights to license plate (attached to the license plate screws) on the rear hatch door. This looks tricky.

Where do the power wires for the defogger, wiper / washer and license plate light enter the hatch door from the car body?

Has anyone worked in this area?

Thanks for any guidance.

CRC11007

Postby CRC11007 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:10 am

I was going to mount my backup camera on the hatch, but due in part to the cable routing issue, I decided to use a flush-mount camera, and put it on the bumper cover, directly above the trailer hitch. It makes hooking up the camper an easy task. The other reason I chose not to mount it on the hatch is I was concerned about the possible vibration damage to the camera from repeatedly slamming the hatch shut. Probably not a legitimate concern, but anyway.

stefanzman

Postby stefanzman » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:20 pm

Thanks much for the reply.

That does sound like a good idea. I would love to get a few more details on how you did it.

- Drill holes in the bumper cover?
- Run wires from reverse light through the interior side panel and through the spare tire wheel well to the camera?

Anything you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

stefanzman

Postby stefanzman » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:51 pm

It is not clear if the rear lights night need to be removed or whether the link can be established from inside panel alone. Also, is there a straightforward path from there to the bumper above the hitch?

CRC11007

Postby CRC11007 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:41 am

I ended up splicing into the reverse light wiring right behind the taillight lense. Just be sure to solder and shrink-tube it since it is exposed to the elements somewhat. From there, I ran the power line through the rubber grommet in the body, and brought it down into the spare tire well under the vehicle. The power feed never went into the interior of the vehicle. I can try to send a couple pics, just PM your email or something to me, I have had no success uploading pictures to the forum. It’s -6 degrees out right now in CO, but I’ll get to it tomorrow.

stefanzman

Postby stefanzman » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:43 pm

Wow. The 11 degrees here in KC is a comparable heat wave.

At least you you you can look at mountains while it is colder that sh*t outside.

stefanzman

Postby stefanzman » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:50 am

OK. I tried to do the backup camera yesterday. I was able to tap in to the reverse lite an bring the wire down through the side panel but could not figure out how to get it to the bumper above hatch without having some portion of the cable exposed.

I can go under cargo / tire area but there no way "out" to the inside of the bumper (where I could drill an access hole). At his point I have wire running out from the tire area and up over the bumper but under the black step platform. See pic below. Did you have to remove the bumper?

Return to “R51 Electrical”