Best Pathfinder??

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

queguero

Best Pathfinder??

Postby queguero » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:13 am

Hi all,
So I used to own a '97 (SE I think?) w/ 5 speed manual that I freaking loved; had it from like 2013-2016. Ended up selling it to get something better on gas because I drive a lot for work. Currently I drive even more for work and have a 2016 GTI that is essentially paid for through mileage reimbursement.

I will be moving in 2020 and changing jobs and want to go pay cash for a really nice Pathfinder again and make that my daily driver.

I was curious if there is a year model or engine that is considered better than others. I've read there was a new engine they started using in like 2002 or so that only took premium which I am curious about.The only issue I had with mine was those pesky sway bar bushings and I had to put in a new clutch at like 140k. I really prefer manual tranny.

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate the experts opinions!!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:28 am

i personally feel the last couple years of R51 may be "the best".. though not for fuel..

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:50 am

They went to the VQ 3.5L V6. A change from the VG 3.3L. Didn't know they offered them in a manual for the R50 model. At least not in the US? In 2005 with the R51 they went to the VQ 4.0L which uses regular (premium if towing).

Not sure if the R50 required premium with the VQ, I wouldn't think so, then again most VQs I've seen do require premium gas.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:01 pm

The VQs in the Frontier and Xterra and Altima are tuned or regular form the factory : )

The R51 seems a big favorite with a lot of folks.
The R52 of course gets a lot better milage and is more modern on inside especially.

queguero

Postby queguero » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:55 pm

Sorry I did not properly qualify...I guess Im curious about the "best" R50 generation.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:52 am

IMO, the last year of production is usually the best, because all of the "bugs" have likely been worked out by then. So, in this case, "2004." Of course, "best" is a matter of opinion. As far as the engine, comparing the VG33E to the VQ35DE is apples and oranges. The VG has been around since mid-'80s, is timing belt driven, aluminum head on cast iron block design, two valves per cylinder. It's durable, not too hard to work on, has adequate but not great power and so-so gas mileage. The VQ is more technologically advanced, all aluminum with four valves per cylinder and three timing chains. It has 70-80 more horsepower and is a little better on gas mileage. Premium is recommended on the VQ for maximum performance, but regular unleaded can be used. On the downside, more technology means more sensors and engine control components that can "potentially" fail. Some of the VQ35DE engines have had issues with the oil control rings getting stuck in the piston landings and cause oil burning. Some have had power valve screws fall out and into the engine due to lack of thread-locker applied at the factory.
So, powertrains aside, the R50 was refreshed in the middle of the 1999 run. The 99.5 and later models had the rear shock locations changed and had some tweaks made to the body styling. Personally, I prefer the later styling, but that's me. If you like a lot of options and a more premium interior, don't forget its Infiniti sister, the QX4!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”