powertrain issue...slipping?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

boogiethatbe

powertrain issue...slipping?

Postby boogiethatbe » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:26 pm

hey guys/gals, i have recently purchased a 2008 Pathfinder SE w/158,000 miles (a.k.a. Sassy Pathy) and after purchasing i was having shifting issues (hard shift/slipping) and the mechanic i always go to alerted me to the SMOD problem. Fortunatly, i also purchased an extended warranty and it covered the radiator and transmission replacement. After replacing those two items, it still had a shudder/slipping issue around 40-45mph. So took it back and was told it needed a new torque converter as well, also covered by the warranty. Now, after picking it up from the dealership again, it still has this issue. Can anyone on here hypothesize what/why this is still going on? i am at the end of my rope on this vehicle. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:36 am

The replacement transmission should have included a new torque converter. Since it is being covered under warranty, your best bet is to take it back to the dealer. It's possible the new transmission is bad. If this is a Nissan dealer you are working with, then you could call the Nissan Customer Hotline for assistance and to start a report. Their # is 1-800-NISSAN-1.

boogiethatbe

Postby boogiethatbe » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:56 pm

The warranty company replaced the radiator and transmission (remanufactured). The service tech said that the transmission looked completely new and the only thing that was used was the housing itself. After that was replaced, it still was doing the slipping/shudder feeling when going into lock up. So i took it back and the warranty company replaced the torque converter. I was told it was fixed, so when i drove it home that evening, it still was doing the shudder issue. I am now waiting to see if the warranty company is going to keep throwing parts at it or if I need to just trade it back in, which is depressing b/c i love the Pathy, I just feel like it's never going to be fixed. I figured i would get on here and see if anyone else has had this issue and if it could possibly be any other part with the driveline. The only thing i can think of is transfer case, driveshaft, rear diff., front diff. I'm just frustrated... thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:47 am

It sounds like they are using an aftermarket reman transmission rather than a genuine Nissan reman.

jlocal

Postby jlocal » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:25 am

I have a 2009 4.0 SE 2 wheel drive I bought in October of 2018. I see you got 158,000 miles before you got some trans problems. I only have 91,323 and my problem is going around a turn, lifting off the gas, (20-25 mph) then getting back on the gas it does not engage right away. It revs, then it catches. Fluid was just changed (along with all other fluids) so I'm wondering from other owners, Is this common, is this a reliable transmission?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:12 am

The transmissions are generally very reliable. Most of the transmission failures are not caused by the transmission, itself, but by the contamination of the fluid caused by a failure of the radiator. Another problem that sometimes comes up is the metal pins between the TCM and the transmission valve body sometimes crack and break, which usually results in a shift solenoid code being set along with the improper trans operation. Using the wrong transmission fluid during servicing can also cause problems.

jlocal

Postby jlocal » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:51 am

Yes, agreed, that's why when I bought it I changed all fluids, new aluminum radiator, new trans cooler, all new hoses. Nissan S type trans fluid as per manual. Runs very strong, but doesn't slip all the time. Just wondering if this is something I should get checked out now? Should I change fluid again to maybe get any left over contaminated fluid out? Also, I'm getting no codes what so ever.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:48 pm

If you change the fluid, again, you can use Valvoline Maxlife Full-synthetic ATF. You can get it in a gallon jug for $18 at Walmart. It's a lot cheaper than the NissanMatic Type "S" and will work just as well. IF the trans was contaminated before, all you can do is try and get the old, contaminated fluid out and hope for the best. If it wasn't contaminated before, there should be no need to service it again.

jlocal

Postby jlocal » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:03 pm

Yep, I guess that's what I'll do. Definitely hoping for the best. Thanks for the info!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”