Newbie From Sacramento looking to buy

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

mark916

Newbie From Sacramento looking to buy

Postby mark916 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:55 pm

Hi All, I don't have a Pathfinder just yet, but I'm looking to buy one in the Sacramento area, I have my eye on two so far, one from a independent dealer

2012 Pathfinder S V6 2WD asking $11.998 with 80K miles, super clean in and out, test drove it today, drives straight, no steering vibration, pulls strong, brakes hard. new tires. Got underneath, no oil leaks from what I can see, no frame damage, all the doors close and lock with just a push, Carfax is clean, I just noticed at start-up and idle, the fan seems to roar on the loud side. I had this issue with my Sequoia, turned out to be a fan clutch, but wasn't really an expensive part to install myself. But I'm new to Nissan vehicles, mostly Toyota and Audi and Volkswagen family.

If it turns out to be a fan clutch issue on the Pathfinder, is this a dealer recommended part, is aftermarket OEM parts ok for Pathfinder. I know this is a touchy subject on the Audi Forums with aftermarket OEM parts. :D

I'm also checking out a 2007 Pathfinder S V6 2WD from Carmax in Sacramento for $12,998 with only 74K miles on it, doesn't look a clean as the 2012 model, but I will test drive it on Thursday to see this one at Carmax.

Hopfully I can purchase one and start checking out this forum. Thanks

Mark
Sacramento, CA

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:29 pm

All things considered, stick with the 12.

Couldn't help you on the fan clutch part though. Mine roars at startup sometime, then quiets down after a few seconds. Not sure if that is the case with the ones you looked at. This thread might be helpful - http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=17694

mark916

Postby mark916 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:39 pm

Thanks, i can look pass that fan clutch if it is that , not really a show stopper , mostly concerned with oil leaks and transmission shifts which this Path didn't have. Considering the dealer put new tires on it and had it inspected just recently at a Nissan dealer means its in great shape. Thanks for link

weaver

Welcome

Postby weaver » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:06 pm

Greetings. I'm new to the Pathfinder world, but I've been lurking and researching here alot. I agree with Underworld, the 2012 would be the one to focus on-it won't have the SMOD or timing chain potential issues. For the fan clutch what I've learned is to stick with OEM nissan (if it needs replaced.) Every vehicle I've had with a viscous fan roars at start-up for a little bit even in cold weather. As long as it quiets down after engine idle lowers should be ok. Not hard to do yourself, just the nissan clutch is about $150. I' m living with noise on my 08 for now.

mark916

Postby mark916 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:41 am

Thanks for all the info, been checking out the older posts, looks like Nissan has worked out the bugs with the 2011-12 models. I'm starting to see at least in my area some good deals also on 2013-2014 with higher mileage, but not feeling the new look to them.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:39 am

The 2012 is much more attractive in my mind.
Price is lower and its newer. THe slightly lower miles on the 07 do not make up for this.

Especially since the 2012 has some improvements as other mentioned over the 07
If all other things like condition are roughly equal going w/ the 12 is a no brainer.

PS: the 13/14s don't have a great reputation for their transmissions durability in a hot environment.. and you live in Cali...... they have a modern look and are much better for mpgs though ..... still the 12 seems much more attractive to me.

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”