Misfire cylinder #2

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jetstream87

Misfire cylinder #2

Postby jetstream87 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:03 am

I have a 97 Nissan Pathfinder SE in which out of nowhere my car started to flash the C.E.L on the dashboard - I plug in the OBII and it gave me misfire on cylinder No.2. I do feel the engine vibrate on idle and when I come into stops. The spark plugs were swapped out about 3 years ago (NGK) along with the wires and distributor was swapped out last year (Nissan). This morning I did pour some Lucas fuel injector cleaner and hope this would help clean the injector cleaner (in case this is the problem). Drove it 12 miles and no solution - on stops the C.E.L does stay illuminated but when driving the C.E.L will blink. Can anyone guide me what can be causing this issue?

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE
183,000 miles

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:36 pm

You said the plugs were changed 3 years ago...but that doesn't say what kind of plugs (copper, platinum, iridium) nor how many miles are on them. NGK coppers are good for 30K., G-plats and Iridium IX are usually good for around 60K. and laser platinums and laser iridiums are good for 105,000 miles. You could swap two of the plugs and see if the misfire stays at the same cylinder or moves with the plugs. Make sure the #2 wire is not shorting and is fully seated on the plug and the cap. If you feel confident that the ignition system is good, chances are it's the fuel injector. Gas tank additive usually isn't good enough. Nissan recommends a profession fuel injection service, where the engine is run from a stand alone canister filled with fuel injection cleaner, such as those offered by 3M and BG Products. However, the fuel injector may not be feeling because it is dirty or the screen is clogged, but because it is malfunctioning electronically. You can check the injector's resistance using an ohmmeter and compare to the specs in the factory service manual. It may end up being that you need to replace the injector.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”