Help me buy a used pathfinder!

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

K50

Help me buy a used pathfinder!

Postby K50 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:32 am

I was going to look at a 2011 pathfinder with 85k miles. Couple of dings but overall looks like a good car (privately owned) then I saw a 2016 pathfinder with 160k miles. I would normally stay away from a high mileage vehicle like that but 160 over 3 years tells me the car is mostly highway. Both cars are about the same price. They are different models 2011 being the prior model style. Note that I am buying this for my 2 kids who go to the same college. Really like the pathfinder for its size and safety (would buy a tank if could). I don’t expect to put huge miles on the car over the next 4 years - maybe 8k tops per year. I think the 2011 is a LE, 2016 is a SV. The 2016 is being sold by a dealer, my guess is they bought it from an auction. Maybe the car was a 3 year lease.

And one more question, is the 2011 year high enough not to have the transmission issue the the older cars have? Thanks! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:55 am

- Welcome to Thepath!!!! :)

- So you are comparing a R51 (2005-12 generation) to a R52 (2013 to present)

-The 2011 is new enough to have all the bugs worked out (you are thinking of the radiator mixing with coolant.. even so I would not hesitate to buy an older R51 as this can be prevented easily.. but that would be digressing from this thread :) )

-I am a big fan of the previous generation Pathfinder and it would be my likely pick.. however there are things that are in favor of the R52.
a) I suspect u would be a getting a very good deal on the '16 due to milage.. for that good price you'd be getting a quite new vehicle and you are right these miles are almost certainly all hiway.
b)The mpg will be much better on the R52
d)The R52 has better infotainment.
c) usually 160k over 4 ish years use in my mind mean less wear than 85k miles over 8 years use

What are the things in favor of the R51?

a)A classic design that is still popular and some consider special.
b) Strong powertrain
c) Higher driving position
d) The LE is a higher trim level than the SV so you are talking, leather, Bose, maybe even sunroof
e) also you didnt state if either or both are AWD/4x4... if they both are can drive all 4 wheels the R51 is own to be quite capable off road... However his is likely not a big consideration for you as its mostly supposed to be a shuttle around school and to come home every once in a while yes?
f) Many would advise you to the R51 since its a classic SUV part of a dying breed and as such considered more "special" by many... but again not a consideration for your application

In other words on paper they are both very very close and this is one of the few cases were I dont push for one option over another...
my recommendation is a close personal inspection and test drive with the kids with if at all possible.
If conditions are close identical which one do they like most?
(Or is it supposed to be a surprise?)

K50

Thanks for your quick reply

Postby K50 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:32 am

My thoughts as well, high mileage over few years not being as much wear as the older vehicle. I too like the older rugged R51 style. They are both 4wd, are the 4wd systems similar? We have a rav4 which is true AWD. The R51 pathfinder is more of a 4wd where it has to be switched on when needed. Does the R52 work the same way? For my kids it would be better if the car was full time AWD vs selective 4wd. So if the newer model has AWD that would make the decision easier. One other drawback on the high mileage short timespan car is I tend to think the oil changes were further apart mileage wise. Assuming the car was driven approx 5k per month, owner would need an oil change every month. Someone so busy driving that much is likely not changing their oil every 3k miles.

Answer to your question, the car will sit much of the time when kids are at school. Maybe driven once a week for groceries, and back and forth to college when they come home a few times a year, 350 miles round trip.

Thanks again!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Thanks for your quick reply

Postby smj999smj » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:26 am

K50 wrote:My thoughts as well, high mileage over few years not being as much wear as the older vehicle. I too like the older rugged R51 style. They are both 4wd, are the 4wd systems similar? We have a rav4 which is true AWD. The R51 pathfinder is more of a 4wd where it has to be switched on when needed. Does the R52 work the same way? For my kids it would be better if the car was full time AWD vs selective 4wd. So if the newer model has AWD that would make the decision easier. One other drawback on the high mileage short timespan car is I tend to think the oil changes were further apart mileage wise. Assuming the car was driven approx 5k per month, owner would need an oil change every month. Someone so busy driving that much is likely not changing their oil every 3k miles.

Answer to your question, the car will sit much of the time when kids are at school. Maybe driven once a week for groceries, and back and forth to college when they come home a few times a year, 350 miles round trip.

Thanks again!
The 2011 LE would have the AUTO mode transfer case. The 4H and 4L settings work like most part-time four wheel drive systems, which is good for when you get into deep snow or muddy conditions, for example. The 2 wheel mode is just that. AUTO mode isn't exactly an all wheel drive setting, but similar in some ways. Set to AUTO, the vehicle will drive in rear wheel drive most of the time. However, if the system detects or anticipates a wheel slip condition, it will transmit power to the front wheels as needed. It can up to 50% of the power to the front wheels, as needed. So, you can leave it in AUTO mode all of the time and let the computer decide when four wheel drive is needed.

K50

Narrowed down to 2 models

Postby K50 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:11 pm

I have now narrowed down to 2 cars.

2011 LE with 87K miles - leather interior
2011 SV with 50K miles

the SV is $1000 more than the LE.

thoughts? how much more does the LE have over the SV? Note that i like the SV double din radio because i can swap that out with something really nice. so from a radio perspective, i can do better in the SV. i suspect the LE has better speakers though.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:42 am

Not sure what the SV has, but the LE has a Bose system with a subwoofer in the left rear. Personally, I like the system "as is," but if your someone who really wants it pounding bass and blasting so someone a mile away from you can hear it, than it may not be for you. The LE has leather interior and the AUTO mode transfer case and different wheels. Assuming the LE is a V6, as well, there's really not a of difference than what I've mentioned, already. LE comes with sunroof, roof rack, side rails and a rear heater. I'm not sure if those will all be on your SV.

K50

Unfortunately the LE is really a Silver

Postby K50 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:45 am

I found out that the car is really a Silver version and not the LE version. I really wanted the Auto 4wd system as I think it better for the rest of my family. Ah well...

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Unfortunately the LE is really a Silver

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:05 am

K50 wrote:I found out that the car is really a Silver version and not the LE version. I really wanted the Auto 4wd system as I think it better for the rest of my family. Ah well...
A lot of silvers get advertised as LEs because of the leather and the Bose in the Silvers.

K50

How much better is the LE trans?

Postby K50 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:51 am

This silver pathfinder is in good shape. Has all the features I am looking for, other than the auto trans mode. So how much better is the LE transmission?

Thanks!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: How much better is the LE trans?

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:53 am

K50 wrote:This silver pathfinder is in good shape. Has all the features I am looking for, other than the auto trans mode. So how much better is the LE transmission?

Thanks!
The transmission is the same between the SV and LE.
Are these both V6s?

In pavement with intermittent snow or wet weather the "auto" setting on the LE allows you to enjoy AWD.

This is not something recommended with the classic 4x4 transfer case (SV, Silver Edition etc and below) were you only want to put it into 4WD when the going is consistently slippery (dirt, snow, mud, etc) or suffer some excess wear in tires and transfer case.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:09 pm

Yes, the transmission is exactly the same; it's the transfer case that is different. People will say that the LE is all-wheel drive, but it really isn't. All-wheel drive always operates in four-wheel drive and does not alternate to two-wheel drive. AUTO mode defaults to two-wheel drive until it detects or anticipates wheel slip and then will transmit power to the front axle via a wet clutch, the power of which can vary, as required, up to 50% of the driveline power. Plus, it also has the option of switching to a part-time, 4HI or 4LO operation.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:41 pm

Ok poor choice of words on my part...looking for analogies
I mean that you can use it like an AWD system even when its not slippery enough for 4WD even on dry pavement etc.. :D

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:05 pm

Look I found a non LE with the "auto" feature.

I didnt know such an animal excited.

An SE V8 looks like it optioned to the level of a LE (sunroof , leather)

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”