Oil leak I swear it’s coming from the oil filter

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

coatseast

Oil leak I swear it’s coming from the oil filter

Postby coatseast » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:55 pm

Hello inmates or whatever this group is collectively called.

I bought a 2011 pathfinder and it had an oil leak coming from the filter.
No biggie. Right?

Well I changed the oil and filter and put a new washer in the darn thing is still leaking ...my question for the group is the oil filter crush washer finicky?
Or are there other oil leaks that might look like they’re coming from the filter but are more sinister? I took a few pictures under the car and will post if I can figure out how to do it here thanks you guys bye

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:20 pm

Had the same issue a while back. Bought the oil filter cooler seal and replaced it. I believe it's a 22mm socket around the protruding bolt/nut thing that the oil filter screws onto. My browser is all jacked up right now and don't feel like troubleshooting it so not gonna type too much right now, but the below video should be useful as a visual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAmUO8wbFQE
[/url]

coatseast

Yup. Oil cooler gasket. Thanks. A relief!

Postby coatseast » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:58 pm

underworld1001 wrote:Had the same issue a while back. Bought the oil filter cooler seal and replaced it. I believe it's a 22mm socket around the protruding bolt/nut thing that the oil filter screws onto. My browser is all jacked up right now and don't feel like troubleshooting it so not gonna type too much right now, but the below video should be useful as a visual.

[/url]

RickyRacoon

Re: Yup. Oil cooler gasket. Thanks. A relief!

Postby RickyRacoon » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:34 am

coatseast wrote:
underworld1001 wrote:Had the same issue a while back. Bought the oil filter cooler seal and replaced it. I believe it's a 22mm socket around the protruding bolt/nut thing that the oil filter screws onto. My browser is all jacked up right now and don't feel like troubleshooting it so not gonna type too much right now, but the below video should be useful as a visual.

[/url]
I had the same issue, just a tiny leak... I replaced the oil cooler gasket on my last oil change, and still have the same tiny oil leak. Any other ideas?

2006 - 140k miles

I DID just start using Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage, can't see how that would cause any issues ~ I have heard a theory that the higher detergent oil would "dislodge" any crud that had previously plugged any leak that was present.

Update - knock on wood, no more leak. I’m now thinking the “leak†was just residual oil dripping from oil change and oil cooler gasket that was replaced.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”