On the ignition timing for 97 Pathfinder

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Keephergoing

On the ignition timing for 97 Pathfinder

Postby Keephergoing » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:00 pm

My first post so I apologize if it’s in the wrong place or in anyway redundant.

Just got through replacing the driver side valve gasket and a few other bits and pieces. Since I had to pull the distributor to make room to remove the valve cover I thought I would verify the timing. I indexed it fairly anally so all was good but I have question about the procedure just out of curiosity.

In the FSM it states, after warming up the engine, to hold the revs at 2000 rpm for 2 minutes and then to blip up to 3000 three times. What is the purpose of this since the engine is already warm? Is it to trigger some ECU function or to set the fuel/air mixture to a certain level?

Many thanks if you’ve made it this far!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:05 pm

It doesn't trigger any function in the ECM. It's done to make sure the throttle plate is completely seated. After that, you turn off the engine, unplug the TPS and restart the engine. The vehicle is now is timing set mode, which allows one to adjust the ignition timing and base idle without have any inputs to the ECM influence the readings. Once the timing and base idle are adjusted, the engine is turned off and the TPS harness connector is re-connected to the TPS.

Keephergoing

Postby Keephergoing » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:11 pm

Thanks for your reply mate.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”