Navigation/DVD Bypass switch

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

kmjsuperfly

Navigation/DVD Bypass switch

Postby kmjsuperfly » Wed May 06, 2009 6:33 am

For those of you who have the factory Navigation and/or DVD player you are aware of the annoying "grey out" of the buttons when the vehicle is moving. I have been doing some searching on how to bypass this feature to allow access to all the navigation features as well as play DVD's on the front screen while moving. I came accross a Nissan Murano forum that explained how to do it. I am guessing the proceedure will be similar for my pathfinder. Basically what you do is add a dpdt (double pole double throw) switch that when turned on will simutaniously ground the parking brake input and disconnect the speed sensor wire. I found a switch that will snap into the factory blank in the center console for a seamless install. Wondering if anyone here has attempted this mod?

kmjsuperfly

Postby kmjsuperfly » Wed May 06, 2009 6:40 am

Oh yeah, Disclaimer. This would only be used by the passenger in the front seat of course.

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Sat May 09, 2009 2:42 pm

Im in the process of adding some of the features you posted. I'm interested on this thread and will be keeping a close eye on some of the replies for my install.

Gonzo

kmjsuperfly

Postby kmjsuperfly » Mon May 11, 2009 9:13 pm

Well I purchased the service guide for the 08 pathfinder so I could find the connector pin outs and wiring diagrams for the AV control unit. The parking brake input and the Vehicle speed signal wires are the ones I am interested in. They are #83 and #85 on connector M46.

Image [/img]

Basically what I am going to do is ground the parking brake input and disconnect the vehicle speed signal with the flip of a switch. I can then flip the switch back to the stock position when needed. This should alow me to access all the navigation features and watch dvds on the front LCD screen. I will attempt this mod this weekend and will let you know how it turns out.

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Tue May 12, 2009 1:16 am

Cool. Good luck. Keep up posted and take pics to post, please.

Gonzo

kmjsuperfly

Installation with pictures

Postby kmjsuperfly » Sun May 17, 2009 8:44 am

Well I completed the installation and it works perfectly. I can now use my phone features, play DVD's on the front LCD, access all the navigation features all while moving. I took some pictures along the way in case someone else wants to give it a try. Appoximate installation time for this Mod is one hour.

#1 remove the cup holder trim, A/T trim, center storage bin

ImageImageImage

#2 Remove 2 screws holding the A/V trim unit in place and pull to remove.

#3 Identify the parking brake signal wire (dark green) and speed signal wire (light Green) on connector M46 (its the largest connector) and cut the wires.

#4 Splice (4) short pieces of wire onto the wires you just cut using butt connectors and add spade connectors on the other end. (make sure to label your wires)

#5 Add a short piece of wire to the chassis. There is a easy place under a screw in the dash behind the AV unit.

#6 Pop the DPDT switch into the blank spot in the center console and terminate

Thats it! Your bypass is complete. enjoy!

nikos.path

sweet!

Postby nikos.path » Sun May 17, 2009 9:25 am

Once my path gets out of the shop I can't wait to try this. Thank you for taking the time!

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Mon May 18, 2009 5:11 am

wow.... please please please resize your pictures. they are ridiculously huge.

~mike

kmjsuperfly

Postby kmjsuperfly » Mon May 18, 2009 6:06 am

The pictures have been resized. Hope that makes it easier to read.

kmjsuperfly

Postby kmjsuperfly » Mon May 18, 2009 7:03 am

Here is the link to the switch that I used. Any DPDT swich can be used but this one fit right in the blank opening in the dash.

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-Amp-DPDT-On-On-R ... 7C294%3A30

ESCOPATH

Postby ESCOPATH » Fri May 22, 2009 10:46 pm

do you know if that will work for an 05 pathfinder

kmjsuperfly

Postby kmjsuperfly » Sat May 23, 2009 7:06 am

I don't see why it wouldn't work for an '05. If you have the service manual you will just need to find which wire is the speed sensor input and which is the parking brake ground input. The connector pinnout may have changed between model years.

nisspath

DVD Bypass for '08 Pathfinder

Postby nisspath » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:54 pm

I have a 2008 Nissan Pathinder LE (V6) and I tried to find the M46 connector and either the connectors I found were a different size because you said the largest one, the largest one I could find was directly behind where you enter the CDs in the dash, although that connector was similar to yours in your picture below step 3, the color of the wires was different than the colors you indicate/show. I couldn't find the M46 Connector in the manual either.

kmjsuperfly, can you help me out here and perhaps add a little detail as to where to look exactly?

kmjsuperfly

Postby kmjsuperfly » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:33 pm

I found one extra photo that I didn't post earlier. Here you go. Let me know how it goes. I use my bypass switch all the time. My girlfriend watched Hancock on the way to may parents house this weekend.

Connector M46 is on page 387 of the manual. I am assuming you have the factory Bose audio with navigation.

nisspath

Postby nisspath » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:23 pm

thanks, that worked out great.

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”