Suspension Lift Understandings

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Xave_4x4

Suspension Lift Understandings

Postby Xave_4x4 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:18 am

HI, I am just starting to make my way around the suspension lift kit and combinations, and also saving for college so on a budget. I have heard of rancho and airlift and wondering if anyone has a good setup that can provide 2ish inches of lift and might fit my budget...?
If I go with rancho quicklift loaded coilovers, which are expensive, will I need to lift the rear right away?
Also, for the rear suspension, does anyone replace the coils with better springs like those from 4x4parts.com? or can i put the rear stock coils on spacers and then go with bilstein 4600 HD? Would it be best to go with new coils and shocks on rear with the rancho quicklift coilovers up front?

While on the topic and to be prepared, will new camber bolts solve the camber problems? I really dont want to have to replace the UCAs or bushings....

thanks everyone for your help already!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:49 am

The Airlift 1000 air bags aren't really for lifting, but for keeping the rear end from sagging while towing and to keep the somewhat weak, factory rear coil springs from allowing the rear suspension from bottoming out over bumps.

If money is an issue, why not just go with spacers on top of the front struts, as well? The factory front struts (which are KYB) really aren't that bad and the spacer will keep you from spending money on an expensive strut. As far as the rear, the Bilstein 4600's are meant for stock height suspension; you may want to go with the 5100's instead. Alignment is more of an issue in the rear when raising the suspension height. You may have a hard time getting the rear to align if you don't install offset control arm bushings. As far as the front, if the camber or caster cannot be adjusted to specs, the stock lower control arm bolts will have to be replaced with bolts with eccentric washers on them, a.k.a. caster/camber bolt kit. The other issue that can occur is that the control arm bolts have rusted and seized to the steel sleeves of the control arm bushings. When this occurs, the bolts have to be cut in order to remove the control arm and then either the control arm can be replaced or just the bushings replaced....along with new bolts, etc.

If you search through this topic, there are numerous threads discussing a number of different lift options. Good luck on your project!

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”