engine swap options

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

someone

engine swap options

Postby someone » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:39 pm

hello
So the old pathy destroied yet anther engine ,i think a piston slap .

i been trying to keeping the car in good condition , but the vq40 driveline is giving me headach .

Sourcing anther VQ40 in good cond. is hard and expinsive , and i dont want to pay what the car worth for just an engine and also i prefer not to junk the car.

So is it possible to fix anther engine (driveline) other than LS ( i hate chevy)

i dont mind doing some electrical work

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:02 pm

Haven't heard of too many VQ's in general blowing engines unless we're talking the Z guys with their VQ's and turbo kits. Regardless, not sure where you're at, but you would best look for one at a pick & pull. Engines at the Wrench A Part in Central TX sell for $199.54 to be precise. That's regardless of make. I know LKQ has something similar, but not sure how spread out they are. I'm sure there are others throughout the country, but that would be a place to look. You might find something on Craigslist as well if you're lucky.

Depending on the year of your Pathy, you might want to see if you can source a VK56 from a Titan or other vehicle that used it as 2008+ had V8's, though they are not nearly as common as the VQ40.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:03 pm

VQ40DE's usually don't grenade unless the upper timing chain guides are wearing through and aren't addressed, they aren't maintained or they are run low on oil. A used engine is typically $1500-$2000, depending on mileage and warranty, but sometimes you can find them in the $1200 range if you do some searching. The easiest "swap" would be the 5.6L-V8 Nissan, although it wouldn't be cheaper. Off Road Gorilla can help with the harness:

http://www.offroadgorilla.com/shop/vk56 ... pathfinder
Last edited by smj999smj on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

someone

Postby someone » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:42 pm

i live in one of the hotest places on earth UAE. the car is for my mother which she uses to buy groicers and take the kids out and stuff.

well sourcing an engine is very hard localy .

so there is alot of pathys but all with the engine in the back as parts of failed repair job.

a japan sourced engine will cost around 2000 usd which is the price of the car around here , already paid that 2 years ago ...i mean for the engine

idk but around here the vq40 suffer from overheating .

tried to be smarter i fitted two extra fans with a thermoswitch,changed heater plastic junk with a custom alumnuim ,new radiditor , new fan motor,colder thermostat,alumnuim water can ... still no luck .

Am not sure if its a piston slap or chain and wouldnt waste time on this engine because am sure it also has a head gasket leak which means the head is also wraped.

so its one of those hard to chose situations.
i would like to keep the car but buying an engine for a price of anther pathy is plain stupid .
i dont mind a smaller engine or larger.
a smaller engine makes sense as the car only see our version of going to walmart .
and i really dont want to junk the car as it been too long with us .

someone

Postby someone » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:55 pm

underworld1001 wrote:Haven't heard of too many VQ's in general blowing engines unless we're talking the Z guys with their VQ's and turbo kits. Regardless, not sure where you're at, but you would best look for one at a pick & pull. Engines at the Wrench A Part in Central TX sell for $199.54 to be precise. That's regardless of make. I know LKQ has something similar, but not sure how spread out they are. I'm sure there are others throughout the country, but that would be a place to look. You might find something on Craigslist as well if you're lucky.

Depending on the year of your Pathy, you might want to see if you can source a VK56 from a Titan or other vehicle that used it as 2008+ had V8's, though they are not nearly as common as the VQ40.
199 for a truck engine , i might look into importing some of those i would make some extra money

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:48 am

Well, Offroad Gorilla makes a wiring harness swap if you want to put a VK56 into your Pathy;
http://www.offroadgorilla.com/shop/vk56 ... pathfinder

A video can be found here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQQRl41fQBs

patomwazi

Re: engine swap options

Postby patomwazi » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:40 pm

Would one need to carry over the transmission and diffs as well...and all the various control modules as well?!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:38 am

You need the V8 engine, trans and ECM...plus the harness modified. Good time to replace the mounts, as well. The ECM stores the key data for the immobilizer system, so you'll either need to have it programmed at a Nissan or Infiniti dealer or get the ECM reprogrammed by UpRev, which can disable the immobilizer, plus add more power and, if you choose to go with long tube headers, adjust it for that. Be aware the stock exhaust manifolds on the 5.6L are known for cracking.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:21 pm

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”