P0430 cat replacement

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

nismopath

P0430 cat replacement

Postby nismopath » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:38 am

I have read up on this code and it seems everyone has to replace the cats. My question is that since I have the 430 code and not the 420 code, so I need to replace both cats or just one?
Either way, are they just bolt on cats? Can I knock that out in the garage with a wrench and sockets? Or is there more to it?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:11 am

P0420 is the right bank and P0430 is the left bank, so, just one catalytic converter needs to be replaced (left side, upstream). It is a bolt-on part, but the manifold heat shield is in the way and trying to remove the shield often results in broken bolts. Most will trim away the part of the heat shield that is in the way. Removing the left-front wheel well liner gives access to the top side of the converter. The other issue is that the bolts/nuts can get rusty, so, a torch may be required to get some of them off. The main muffler assembly will need to be disconnected from the left and right, downstream converters. Then, the left bank, downstream converter can be removed so that there's room to remove the upstream converter from the bottom of the vehicle. You'll likely need some new hardware and you'll definitely need some gaskets. I would also recommend getting some new 10MM push clips to replace the ones on the wheel well liner that will likely break when you try to remove them.
Another option you can do to keep the light from triggering is install a CEL eliminator on the left bank, downstream oxygen sensor. This is essentially a long spacer that restricts some of the exhaust flow to the rear sensor and "tricks" the ECM. The run anywhere from $10 to $30, depending on what brand you get. I paid $12 for mine from Amazon and the CEL for the P0430 only came on once in two months, whereas it was triggering several times a day. I keep a $25 OBD II code reader in the glove box to turn the CEL out when it happens. If you have CA state type inspection, they will fail it if they see it. It's not an issue where I live.

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:50 am

But if it is the o2 sensor, how will I know? Other than changing the cat and the code stays on. I don’t want to do one and it end up bring the other.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:28 am

In my experience as a Nissan tech, generally if there is an oxygen sensor causing the catalyst codes, you will have both the catalyst and oxygen sensor codes stored in the ECM memory. The oxygen sensors can be monitored using a scan tool, but I've found that it's tough to get a good read on the front oxygen sensor, which is actually an air/fuel ratio sensor on R51's. It runs a much narrower band than "regular" oxygen sensors, like those that are used downstream. Catalytic converter seems to be pretty common on the 2005-and-up Nissan Pathfinders/V6 Frontiers and Xterras, especially from 2005-2007. If replacing a catalytic converter, you should know that most catalytic converter warranties require proof of replacement of the oxygen sensors at the time of the converter replacement (keep your receipts). Personally, at the very least I would replace the front sensor, as it is a primary input for the ECM to determine the air/fuel mixture, unlike the downstream sensor which is only for monitoring the post catalytic converter emissions.

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:15 am

So if I have to get the upstream sensor anyway, should I replace that first.. see if that fixes the CEL ? Then if not, then replace the car?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:00 pm

You can if you want to, but don't be surprised if it doesn't fix it.

nismopath

Re: P0430 cat replacement

Postby nismopath » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:15 am

I am just getting around to this.. yes its been a while.
Amway two things.
1. local shop told me i had to use Nissan converter or the CEL will stay on ? yes or no?
2. Is upstream the "front" ? I am debating doing myself depending on the quote and Rockauto just says front or rear. I am assuming its the front.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:54 pm

I did this job recently (replaced both).

You do not need Nissan CATs, but they will work (of course!)
I've installed a Walker on the passenger side, and an Eastern on the driver's side.
I had codes for both sides, and both codes cleared with the different manufacturer CATs installed.
The codes cleared by themselves after an hour of driving. I did not reset them. So I have proof that you do not need Nissan CATs.

Nissan CATs are more expensive for a reason, they are the superior quality.
Anything with a 5 year warranty is good for aftermarket product (Walker)

I am planning that the CATs I've installed will last 3-4 years until I have to do it again. At that point I will have to decide if it is worth it, as the truck would be almost 20 years old.
Because one is Eastern and other Walker, it might be the ultimate test on the same vehicle, which one outlasts the other. There are factors that affect this, of course.

Upstream CATs are the key ones. Closest to the manifold / engine,

Good luck.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:06 pm

The only time one needs to use catalytic converters from the manufacturer is if the vehicle is in a state that follows California emissions standards (i.e. CA, NY, MA) AND there is not an aftermarket version available that is C.A.R.B. certified. I would, however, recommend going with an established brand, such as Walker or Bosal, when choosing a converter; I should mention that I've had a couple of issues with Davico brand converters on some vehicles. My Walker upstream converter is about 5-years old and still no code issues. Make sure you install new gaskets when replacing them.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:07 am

AAM competition makes high performance cats for many Nissans.
Not the chepast but considering they are hi-flows they are actually affordable.

In most Nissans the cats are the greatest restrictions since our exhaust usually flow pretty free.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”