2006 Pathfinder No Start

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Soven

2006 Pathfinder No Start

Postby Soven » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:50 am

A friend of mine has a 2006 Pathfinder 4.0 with a no start issue. About 6 months ago he called me up to help him swap out his fuel pump. We swapped it out and it wouldn't start. Note: I don't know what kind of issues it had before we changed the fuel pump. Winter came along and the cold outside kept us from wanting to deal with it.

Recently we come back to it and he tested compression and said it was fine, code reader doesn't pick up any code so next we checked for spark. There wasn't any. While the plug was out we could smell fuel so we figured it was getting some. After searching the internet we decided to replace the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor. Crankshaft first, then we tested it. Second, we changed out driver side cam sensor and then tested it again. This time it fired up and ran really rough and would die. Hooked up code reader again and this time it showed a code for that very sensor. He checked it and realized it wasn't fully tightened down. Tried it again, no start and no code. Swapped out the passenger side sensor and still no start and still no code. After some deliberation we decided to try and recreate the earlier results. So we loosened up the driver side sensor and it kicked over a little so we loosened it some more. Eventually got it started though it was running very rough and died.

With the cam sensor lose, it somewhat starts and throws a code for it. When it's properly secured there's not a single sign it wants to start and no codes given. My thought is timing may be off but, even so, wouldn't it be giving a code for that?

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

CRC11007

Postby CRC11007 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:21 am

When it comes to sensors and electronic parts, I heed the advice of those on this forum and use genuine Nissan parts, either from Courtesy Parts or the NissanUSA owners portal. I’m not sure if that plays into your particular problem, but it might.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”