which front lower ball joints manufacturer?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

DrBeavis

which front lower ball joints manufacturer?

Postby DrBeavis » Thu May 23, 2019 6:23 pm

2005 SE 4x4

turns out i need new lower ball joints for the front. dont need anything over the top, just something solid and reliable. also dont need the entire assembly that contains the arm, just the basic part. so looking for suggestions regarding manufacturer? for now i have narrowed it down to Proforged 10110310. any thoughts?

one other thing. do these lower ball joints vary from left to right sides, or do they fit all the same?

thanks!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri May 24, 2019 3:28 am

The only ball joints I ever use are Moog. They've been around for years and are usually improved designs over stock and I've never had any problems with them regardless of what vehicle I've installed them in. Now, that said, Nissan doesn't offer ball joints for these control arms as they don't recommend replacement other than the entire arm assembly. The reason is that if one is not careful when pressing the ball joint out of in, the hole can get elongated and allow the ball joint to fall out of the arm, leaving only the snap ring keeping it together. Trust me that it does happen because I've seen it happen to Maximas and Sentras! I've also seen another problem occur with those that replace just the ball joints: they replace just the joints and will then get a wheel alignment. Often the control arm attaching bolts, be it regular bolts or eccentric bolts, will seize to the steel sleeve in the bushing, making it necessary to cut the bolt(s) and replace the control arm assembly, anyway. For what a Moog ball joint costs for the part alone, another $20 can get you a whole control arm.

DrBeavis

Postby DrBeavis » Sat May 25, 2019 12:12 am

smj999smj wrote:The only ball joints I ever use are Moog. They've been around for years and are usually improved designs over stock and I've never had any problems with them regardless of what vehicle I've installed them in. Now, that said, Nissan doesn't offer ball joints for these control arms as they don't recommend replacement other than the entire arm assembly. The reason is that if one is not careful when pressing the ball joint out of in, the hole can get elongated and allow the ball joint to fall out of the arm, leaving only the snap ring keeping it together. Trust me that it does happen because I've seen it happen to Maximas and Sentras! I've also seen another problem occur with those that replace just the ball joints: they replace just the joints and will then get a wheel alignment. Often the control arm attaching bolts, be it regular bolts or eccentric bolts, will seize to the steel sleeve in the bushing, making it necessary to cut the bolt(s) and replace the control arm assembly, anyway. For what a Moog ball joint costs for the part alone, another $20 can get you a whole control arm.
thanks, great info as always!!! so i found Moog control arm assemblies that include ball joints: RK620371 and RK620372. could you please confirm that these are the correct ones you mentioned. i am a bit apprehensive about these particular ones, as RockAuto classifies them as "economy". i typically go at least with "daily driver", which is a level up. am i reading too much into this? thanks.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun May 26, 2019 9:08 pm

Yes, those are them. I wouldn't have any problems with using the R-series Moog control arms. If you prefer to order from the daily driver section, most of what Beck~Arnley sells is repackaged OEM parts and are always good quality. The premium Mevotech parts are good as well. If you prefer Dorman Products parts, you can get their control arms at PartsGeek.com. Any of those are fine.

DrBeavis

Postby DrBeavis » Tue May 28, 2019 12:52 am

thanks for the info again. i went with those Moog R-series control arms. hope everything works out.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”