4WD on the Pathy

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Jumpin

4WD on the Pathy

Postby Jumpin » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:06 am

I have a '12 Pathy LE that I have Open Country AT2s on for about 2 years. How would you say the 4WD compares to the XTerra of the same year? I traded my X for the Path and can't tell if it's going to get me out of the same tight spots I got into with the X so I haven't pushed it. But, there are some spots that I really want to get to for rockhounding, and recently turned back on the way to one b/c of a little mud.

I know the pathfinder weighs about 1K more lbs which could make it less able to get out of tight spots. Does anyone know how the 4WD differs? Does anyone have any input? Thanks in advance for your input.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:40 pm

The Pathfinder LE is different in that it has the "AUTO" mode transfer case, which works similarly to the ol' GM SmartTrak II system. It has a wet clutch that can deliver proportional power to the front wheels as needed. There is a really good discussion about it on the site at this thread:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=6907

The Xterra will have the more conventional "standard" transfer case. The other big difference is that the Pathfinder has an independent rear suspension, compared to the Frontier-like straight axle/leaf spring setup. Each has their own benefits and drawbacks. There are plenty of R51's being used off-road so I'm sure it will do fine for what you want, so long that it's within reason and appropriate mods are made to do what might be considered more than just light or casual off-road driving. I'm there are others who can chime in regarding their off-road experiences and findings.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:08 am

And your 4Hi and your 4Lo have the exact same function as your Xterras that is when you go out of "auto" your center diff is locked in 4HI and 4LO just like in the XTerra :)
( I own(ed) both )

You do not have a rear locker like u would with an Xterra PRO4X (but those are actually used more rarely than most realize) and the VBD on the Xterra and the R51 Pathy works quite well. And most Xterra dont have those rear lockers anyway..

The Xterra has is shorter and with a shorter wheelbase
As a result it has a (bit ) better breakover angle and can fit some places the bigger vehicle cant.

But on the other hand by todays standards the R51 is not overly large at all.
It has the same F platform frame as an XTerra.

I also believe the weight different is a lot less.
depending on trim I seem to remember it was approx 460 lbs difference.
The 2012 LE 4.0L R51 weighs (loaded w/ sunroof etc) 4900 curb and the 2012 Xterra PRO4X weights 4432 (also loaded)

Tires are of course key when in sticky spots no what which vehicle........

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”