Is $1,000 enough to upgrade stock suspension?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

LR61

Is $1,000 enough to upgrade stock suspension?

Postby LR61 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:33 pm

Lately my driver side front suspension has been squeaking while going over small bumps in the road. The suspension is not bouncy and I always feel comfortable while driving. But I have been interested in replacing my suspension with something a bit better to explore some light trails in my area. Thing is, I am a college student taking summer classes and only have a budget of $1,000. I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy some better suspension components or just repair it back to OE quality?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:21 pm

Mine squeaks too over small bumps at slow speed...but still performs great.
I been thinking of lubing the bushings..

As for your budget it depends what u want to even a complete set of OEM replacement shocks would bust the 1k.
But here are equal (or better) aftermarket out there.

I'll let the suspension guys chime in with more detail when they see this

LR61

Postby LR61 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:22 pm

What I guess I want to know, is if it is more economical to upgrade my suspension with better components to get a small lift, or to fix the stock suspension and then add a suspension lift?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:44 pm

Just because there is a squeak doesn't necessarily mean the suspension needs a rebuild. One of the common problems that sounds very much like a suspension squeak is the hood latch. The plastic will wear off of the catch pawl of the latch and make metal to metal contact with the catch loop on the hood. Try cleaning the catch loop on the underside of the hood and then take a 6" strip of electrical tape and wrap it tightly around the bottom of the catch loop (the part that engages the latch assembly. Then drive it and see if the noise goes away. If it doesn't, you might want to try lubing the sway bar bushings.
As far as an inexpensive lift, spacers are available from 1/2" and up and not hard to install. Just keep in mind that because of the independent suspension, the more you lift the rear, the harder it is to get the wheel alignment in spec (which should be done right after you do the lift).

SuperTom

Postby SuperTom » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:13 am

Im in the process as well and my budget is $1000 as well. My issue is rust and 140K im sure original parts.

I got these from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Struts- ... way&sr=8-3

Although I only got about 1" of lift they still have good reviews, I just installed yesterday
Along with Moog 81119 springs
https://www.amazon.com/Moog-81119-Coil- ... way&sr=8-2

That's about $260

Then I put Every upper and lower control arm front and rear in a cart on Rockauto. That comes out to about $600. I didn't order yet im working on what alightment bolts are seized and what is good.
Anyway add another $100+ for new alighnment bolts and bolts

That will put you at around $1000 there

My Sway bars and Tie rods look good so I keeping them.

Depends how far you want to go and what you actually need.

Im kind of happy with 1" since I shouldn't have alignment issues. Plus it was enough to clear my 32.6" tires which had a slight rub before.

Code Pathfinder

Postby Code Pathfinder » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:54 am

If you want ideas you can read my post on the suspension section of this forum I contributed to in regards to my front and rear suspension rebuild.

Mine unfortunately was past the $1000 mark but man does it drive nice now.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:57 pm

If you do the work yourself, here's what I would do.

Moog springs at all four corners (negligible lift, much better ride quality particularly in the back).
Bilstein shocks at all four corners (better than the Monroes and other things that come in quick struts).
New sway bar bushings all around (for handling on road, not off...would recommend disconnecting one side end link for trails anyway).

To simplify it, you can get a strut mount kit from Amazon for ~$15 that includes the rubber spring seat and whatnot, and have the front struts put together for you at a shop if you don't have access to a spring compressor before you remove your OEM fronts. That makes it a driveway-doable job.

Honestly, you could afford a floor jack, big breaker bar, and these parts within $1,000 and do it yourself. Front strut spring compression if you've never done it is tricky (so maybe have someone do that). After that, rear springs are kind of scary, and I had some rust issues with mine...but most people don't:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=16593

I would not futz around with a cheap lift kit, or lift struts, or frame lifts, etc. They're like shock preload; it just adjusts where your truck sits in its usable travel rather than increasing it.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:02 pm

Wow some great posts in this thread!
Thanks fellas!

LR61 you should not have all the info u need... :D

SuperTom

Postby SuperTom » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:46 am

I forgot to add my estimate is for a DIY'er parts only. Don't even know what a shop would charge to swap out all those suspension components. Only time I go to a shop is to get tires mounted or an alignment.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”