Oil pressure gauge drops at idle and engine warm

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

BullDozer

Oil pressure gauge drops at idle and engine warm

Postby BullDozer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:57 pm

Hi Guys. Recently after engine is warmed up snd I come up to a traffic light, my engine oil pressure starts to dip about 1/4 way between low and half, putting it in Nuetral and giving it little bit of gas grts it nack to normal position

Any ideas. Is oil worn or too thin? I used. 5 30 full synthetic about 2k/ 6 months ago

ssobol

Postby ssobol » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:56 pm

Could be a bad oil pump. Also check the oil temp. If it is too high the oil will be thinner than it should be.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:22 pm

It's more likely to be a failed oil gallery cover gasket on the rear timing chain cover than an oil pump. It's an issue that occurs on both VQ35 and VQ40 engines. Here's a link to an article on the issue that explains it well:

https://www.motor.com/wp-content/upload ... E_0116.pdf

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Thank you both. So most likely fresh oil change won’t solve the issue?

Also just found this old thread...

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:36 pm

I've seen some pretty low indicated oil pressures when fully warmed up in the summer with various VQ engined vehicles.
As long as the light doesnt come on I usually dont worry about it.Some indicators just indicate lower than others.

Also the modern trend to recommend relatively thin oils even in summers doesnt help.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:51 am

The right thing to do would be to get an oil pressure test gauge and confirm what the actual oil pressure is and compare it to the specs given in the factory service manual. If you need a FSM, you can get free access to an online version at Nico Club's site:

https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals

As mentioned in your link, 2005-2006 Pathfinders have an actual, working, oil pressure gauge with a 3-wire oil pressure sender. In 2007 and later, it's actually a "dummy" gauge working off of a 2-wire oil pressure switch.

SuperTom

Re: Oil pressure gauge drops at idle and engine warm

Postby SuperTom » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:56 am

BullDozer wrote:Hi Guys. Recently after engine is warmed up snd I come up to a traffic light, my engine oil pressure starts to dip about 1/4 way between low and half, putting it in Nuetral and giving it little bit of gas grts it nack to normal position

Any ideas. Is oil worn or too thin? I used. 5 30 full synthetic about 2k/ 6 months ago
I think its normal. Mine goes down to right above the Low mark when sitting at a red light. I have on 05 which is the only year with a real reading from what I understand. If it drops below that line then you are in trouble

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Oil pressure gauge drops at idle and engine warm

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:25 am

SuperTom wrote:
BullDozer wrote:Hi Guys. Recently after engine is warmed up snd I come up to a traffic light, my engine oil pressure starts to dip about 1/4 way between low and half, putting it in Nuetral and giving it little bit of gas grts it nack to normal position

I think its normal. Mine goes down to right above the Low mark when sitting at a red light. I have on 05 which is the only year with a real reading from what I understand. If it drops below that line then you are in trouble
Or, maybe your oil gallery cover gaskets are leaking, as well, would be another possibility. My 2006 sits right around the middle of the gauge at idle.

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:50 am

I changed the oil and it has made the difference. I think the oil may have been 1/2 quart low.
Let’s see how long this lasts

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”