07 Pathfinder misfire

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Jon566

07 Pathfinder misfire

Postby Jon566 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:02 pm

Ok, I’m the guy that just searches and noses around but never posts...
Until now
Our 2007 Pathfinder is throwing the code for a random misfire and the CEL flashes. It smokes but smells more like fuel than it would with a blown head gasket.
I’m not a Master tech but am fairly knowledgeable with cars but I can not for the life of my track this down.

Plugs have been changed and coil packs are good and the Intake gasket has been changed recently. Replaced all o-rings and cleaned out fuel injectors.
PCV is new and throttle body has been cleaned. MAF is good.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:48 pm

Intake seal replaced before or after misfire issues?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:24 pm

If you're smelling fuel, I would look at check the fuel pressure and performing a fuel pressure leakdown test. And while a pain in the tail, a compression test wouldn't hurt, either. I suggest the latter because once in a blue moon there is the VQ40DE that has the catalyst substrate ingestion take place that scores the cylinder walls and causes the compression to drop, like the Altima QR25DE engines did back in 2002-2004.
I've also seen camshaft position sensors, crank position sensors and ignition coils fail that have cause random misfires and sometimes don't even set a code. I recently had my own 2008 Pathfinder develop intermittent hesitation, rough idle and even stalling issues without tripping a code. Finally after three weeks of this, it tripped a P0302 misfire code which is due to a failing coil pack. These would all cause ignition misfire issues, which would cause the fuel to not burn completely and could cause the gas smell you are experiencing.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”