The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Seized Fill Bolt on Rear Diff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Seized Fill Bolt on Rear Diff Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

So I decided its time to change my diff fluid. Went to remove the upper fill bolt, and can't get it to budge. Even went so far as to get a 10mm hex socket, get it seated in the hex hole really good, and try my breaker bar. It wouldn't go, so I though I'd even try my air impact. No movement. Though now if I let it go on the impact, it does spin inside, so I guess I've rounded the hex a bit now too. Lovely.

Any ideas?

t

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 343000kms (213000mi) - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, Prostart Remote Starter, Cooper Discoverer ATw P265/70/16
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get a propane torch and carefully heat the case round the fill plug and then use and air chisel on the edge of the plug to try and break it loose.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapp gas too hot?

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 343000kms (213000mi) - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, Prostart Remote Starter, Cooper Discoverer ATw P265/70/16
Graham W

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try soaking with some diesel.

I was taught to free seized engines with diesel without having to
strip the heads off. It’s an oil and penetrates.
Just keep soaking for about a week, worth a go.

No Mods, Just added OEM Roof Cross bars, Towbar and secondary front rescue hooks and front LED lightbar. Oh and an electric fleece blanket for my GF as she feels the cold!
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disallow wrote:
Mapp gas too hot?

It'll work, too, as long as your careful. Torque spec is only 25 lb/ft. Somebody must have really cranked on it!
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I managed to get this bolt out yesterday. Used these:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/5-pc-pipe-nipple-extractor-set/A-p8248486e

Worked perfectly. Got a new plug from Nissan, $18!

Cheers all.

t

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: