Dealer tech sheared off coil bolt

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

jspitz

Dealer tech sheared off coil bolt

Postby jspitz » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:41 pm

Short version of the story: I'm on vacation 750 miles from home, engine develops a misfire on cylinder 1. I Take the car to the local Nissan dealership and have the #1, 3, & 5 coils replaced (since they are under the intake manifold - with the 2 OEM Nissan coils they had in stock and 1 Napa coil). I get the car back home, and notice the bolt is sheared off flush with the threaded boss in the valve cover on #5.

The car has 224,000 miles on it and was mine since day 1.

I called the dealer, talked to the service advisor and the shop foreman who did the work himself. He tells me, basically there's no chance the coil will come out. I've checked and every few hundred miles or so, it does wiggle out a bit. I didn't press the service advisor for anything, but they offered nothing at all.

My questions are:
Will the coil realistically back itself out?
Do I call Nissan USA - will they care *at all*?
Do I leave negative reviews for the dealer on Google and Yelp?
Do I forget it? What are the chances that the coil does back out while driving?
Do I pay some exorbitant charge to remove the intake manifold, and drill it out (or replace the valve cover if the boss spins)?
Do I epoxy it down? The plugs won't need to be changed for about another 80k or so... :D

TIA

ssobol

Postby ssobol » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:52 pm

If you don't want to make a scene with the dealer than I would try an E-Z Out to get the bolt out. Use lots of penetrating oil first.

If the bolt won't budge then drill and tap a hole and put a new bolt in. Doesn't have to be the same as the old one, just something to hold the coil in place (there is little load on this bolt).

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:20 pm

I would call Nissan without any high expectations. Shoddy work from a dealer should matter.

I wouldn't be too concerned about that coil pack coming out. Epoxy would be a bad solution until you change your plugs at 300k miles...

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”