Dual alternators or dual battery isolator

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

RedK9

Dual alternators or dual battery isolator

Postby RedK9 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:35 pm

I recently purchased a high amp (250 amp) alternator as well as a 12 volt 100Ah SLA AGM battery for powering most all of my aftermarket gear.
Originally I was planning on getting a dual battery isolator until a friend mentioned dual alternators. I was not aware that you could have dual alts until he mentioned it.

So now my question is which way is best or easiest.?
I need some Pros and Cons here..

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:15 pm

If you don't get an answer here, you might try contacting the folks at Crutchfield.com.

NWPathfinder

Postby NWPathfinder » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:39 am

Yeah a lot of guys that do sound competitions use dual Alternators to keep the current high while they are competing. I think you'd just need the Isolator to run a dual battery setup. My question is. Where you mounting the second battery???

RedK9

Postby RedK9 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:46 pm

Sorry for the late reply, I have seen posted on a few forums where they moved things around under the hood so they could have both batteries mounted side by side under the hood. But that looked like a lot of work and since I pose very few mechanical skills I decided it would be better behind the back seats near the factory Bose subwoofer..
I am not into sound competitions, but I do care about good sound in my vehicle. I am looking into a two to three amp setup for my vehicle. A four channel amp to power the front components and rear full range coaxials. Also two sets of subwoofers in the rear, two 12 inch subs in a acoustic suspension sealed box as well as two 12's in a ported box. Also I am an Amateur radio operator with a license from the FCC so I will have several two way radios mounted in the front cab area.
I am also into camping and backpacking, so I will have several LED light bars mounted on the roof and bull bar. I still have lots of homework to do before deciding on either a dual battery isolator or a dual alternator setup..

NWPathfinder

Postby NWPathfinder » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:10 am

Wow, I can not wait to see pictures of all of this! Sounds awesome! I'm sure it will Sound awesome as well!!!

Rogue9

Re:

Postby Rogue9 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:51 pm

Any completed pics on this setup??? thx

RedK9 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:46 pm
Sorry for the late reply, I have seen posted on a few forums where they moved things around under the hood so they could have both batteries mounted side by side under the hood. But that looked like a lot of work and since I pose very few mechanical skills I decided it would be better behind the back seats near the factory Bose subwoofer..
I am not into sound competitions, but I do care about good sound in my vehicle. I am looking into a two to three amp setup for my vehicle. A four channel amp to power the front components and rear full range coaxials. Also two sets of subwoofers in the rear, two 12 inch subs in a acoustic suspension sealed box as well as two 12's in a ported box. Also I am an Amateur radio operator with a license from the FCC so I will have several two way radios mounted in the front cab area.
I am also into camping and backpacking, so I will have several LED light bars mounted on the roof and bull bar. I still have lots of homework to do before deciding on either a dual battery isolator or a dual alternator setup..

Return to “R51 Electrical”