What’s going on here ??

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

nismopath

What’s going on here ??

Postby nismopath » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:33 am

I had my old brakes on too long and last week they were making the worst grinding noise like something had broke off or chipped, every time I braked it would grind so loud. So I obviously changed the brakes. I went ahead and changed the rotors too to be safe, and they needed it. When I changed them, you could see a ton of dust that had caked up on the wheels.
I had assumed the dust was from the old pads and once I change the setup, everything would stop. But it seems like the new rotors are full of the dust again. Could it just be old dust that I need to keep cleaning off? Or what else?
At the least, what should I use to clean the rotors? Regular brake cleaner?

https://ibb.co/ydhdy48

ssobol

Postby ssobol » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:32 am

In the image those don't look like new rotors. They are already pitted by rust. The area where the pad engages should be shiny and smooth. I would look at the back side of the rotor. Check that the caliper can float on the pins.

The nature of disk brakes is that the dust will collect on the wheel. If there is excessive dust, check that the back brakes are working properly. If the front brakes are doing all the work, there will be more dust.

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:50 am

I guarantee the rotors are new. I know it looks pitted by rust, but it’s just small surface rust and the pads have cleaned off the area where they run. It’s not pitted at all. They are only a few days old .

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:12 am

What kind of pads and rotors are they?

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:45 am

I can’t remember the model, but Wagner brand. The old were whatever the last owner had on there.
Last edited by nismopath on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:54 pm

Can I use All Purpose Cleaner or do I have to use Brake Cleaner ? I am worried about the APC on the brake pads, and worried about the Brake Cleaner on the rims.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:47 pm

Stick with brake cleaner on the brakes; it should hurt the wheels any unless you have them Plastic coated, in which case I'm not sure?
Wagner is usually pretty reputable, but they have low cost pads and premium pads. The Thermo-quiet pads and the OEX are usually pretty good. Sometimes if you get some really cheap pads you can get a lot dust, squeal and other issues, such as too tight fitment. It's hard to say what's really going on with your without getting hands on it. You want to make sure the pads slide freely in the abutment clips and that the contact points of the metal backing plate that slide on the clips was lubricated were caliper grease, silicone brake grease or "Copper-slip." If the pads fit too tightly, you may need to file the ends down a bit. If the slide pins are stuck, they will need to be removed, cleaned up and lubed with caliper grease. One of the pins will have a rubber bushing on the end that can cause binding. New ones come in a caliper pin boot kit for a couple of bucks.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”