The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
I by-passed my in radiator tranny cooler
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bhull3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: radiator replacement Reply with quote

So if/when you replace the radiator, do you still route the tranny lines through the new one, or still keep the systems separate?
eieio
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: radiator replacement Reply with quote

bhull3 wrote:
So if/when you replace the radiator, do you still route the tranny lines through the new one, or still keep the systems separate?

if you are confident in the quality of the new radiator, you can utilize the transmission cooler component inside of it

"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
bhull3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: New radiator Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I haven't had any experiences with any radiator brands. Shoot, in 2005 I would have had complete faith in the Nissan OEM radiators. Can anyone suggest a reliable aftermarket radiator for the Pathfinder that they would trust to run the tranny lines back through? Has anyone rerouted their lines back through their new radiator? Thanks in advance!
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard of any cross-contamination issues with any of the aftermarket radiators nor new Nissan regular and value line radiators. I've had an Ebay made-in-China unit in my 06 for five years and a Koyorad in my 08 for 2 years and have had no issues with them, utilizing the radiator's integral cooler. Most aftermarket radiators are made in China. Spectra Premium has been a very popular choice in the plastic tank radiators. Stillen offers an all-aluminum radiator that is really nice, but is three times the cost.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
underworld1001

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this is the Stillen one made by CSF. I have a 2011 and it says it's incompatible, but whatever. Unless I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure nothing changed between 2010 to 2011/2012.

https://www.stillen.com/csf-racing-radiators-2005-2010-nissan-frontier-pathfinder-xterra-o-e-replacement-radiator-7029.html

Used to have a Spectra Premium I bought from Pep Boys on a 2003 Xterra 4x4. Gave zero issues. SMJ is right in stating that most are made in China. For example, I believe Spectra is a Canadian company, but they source their cores from China.
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

underworld1001 wrote:
I believe this is the Stillen one made by CSF. I have a 2011 and it says it's incompatible, but whatever. Unless I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure nothing changed between 2010 to 2011/2012.

https://www.stillen.com/csf-racing-radiators-2005-2010-nissan-frontier-pathfinder-xterra-o-e-replacement-radiator-7029.html

Used to have a Spectra Premium I bought from Pep Boys on a 2003 Xterra 4x4. Gave zero issues. SMJ is right in stating that most are made in China. For example, I believe Spectra is a Canadian company, but they source their cores from China.

It should work on the 2011 & 2012 models...but, those model years didn't have problems with radiator cooler failures.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
Superlunchbox

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 2011 with about 90,000 miles on it and I've read that the 2011s didn't have this problem. Is that true or should I just bypass and move on?
Kestral

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superlunchbox wrote:
I've got a 2011 with about 90,000 miles on it and I've read that the 2011s didn't have this problem. Is that true or should I just bypass and move on?

From what I understand the change was made sometime in 2010 so you should be ok. I have not seen or hear of anyone with a 2010 yet that had any issues.
evilhomer3k

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2008 that has smod. I did the bypass and replaced the transmission fluid. At this time I don't know if the transmission is gone at this point. I've flushed the radiator with water about half a dozen times. I haven't gotten much of the milkshake out. The most success I've had getting it out is to take the cap off the reservoir, run the engine, and let it ooze out the top. That's messy and a pain. When i drain the water out of the radiator it comes out as mostly water. Then a little bit of the milkshake will come out. the water never seems to get warm either.

Any suggestions for getting the milkshake out of there?
palmerwmd
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="evilhomer3k"]I have a 2008 that has smod. I did the bypass and replaced the transmission fluid. At this time I don't know if the transmission is gone at this point. I've flushed the radiator with water about half a dozen times. I haven't gotten much of the milkshake out. The most success I've had getting it out is to take the cap off the reservoir, run the engine, and let it ooze out the top. That's messy and a pain. When i drain the water out of the radiator it comes out as mostly water. Then a little bit of the milkshake will come out. the water never seems to get warm either. [quote]

You need to do multiple ATF replacements... there are nooks and crannies in a transmission where stuff stays.. even a small amount of coolant remaining will destroy the transmission.

Do the so -called poor mans flush several times (draining the trannies pan and then refilling)

Dont use expensive Nissan OEM fluid for this.. castrol multi car import is plenty good.

Here is how (do one of those drive for a day or two.. do again..)
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?p=81049&sid=dfe830f1cad7087c8b27bf7fbe5dab1c

As for the radiator.. just replace it once you know if you saved the transmission

2012 V6 4WD, in Grey over Grey

Last edited by palmerwmd on Thu May 16, 2019 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
eieio
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilhomer3k wrote:
I have a 2008 that has smod.

Any suggestions for getting the milkshake out of there?

+1 on palmerwmd's post.
the residue in your coolant is the absolute least of your problem.
the coolant contamination wrecks the transmission, even a little bit will do damage.
flush the trans, flush the trans, flush the trans,...............

"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41
Page 41 of 41

Jump to: