Wierd electrical problem.....REAL wierd

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

FITZER

Wierd electrical problem.....REAL wierd

Postby FITZER » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:04 am

Girlfriend has a '93. Her son :roll: installed an aftermarket CD radio, and immediately after, she has no tailights. Keeps blowing the fuse. Everything else works fine, but no tailights.

What could he have done? Is this just coincidence, or what? He didn't have a wiring plug adaptor, so he snipped the original plug off :roll: , and hard wired in the new radio. But what else could he have plugged into, that would fry the tailight fuse? The radio works fine.

I've sourced a few different wiring diagrams, but none of them seem to be in sync with each other. The routing is the same, but the colors seem to be different, so I'm still kinda at a loss. :?

I'm not an electrical fan, but I understand a bit more than the basics. However, this has me buffooned! :?

FITZER

Postby FITZER » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:53 am

Ok. Found the problem. Sort of!

Pulled the stereo out, replaced fuse, and tailights work. wire stereo back in, tailights work. Plug in antenna, fuse blows. So somethings up with the antenna lead.

But there's two cables leading out of the stereo antenna plug. Any idea why there's two? I've only ever seen one, going to the antenna.

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:29 am

you might want to check your grounds. u might be grounding out somewhere which is why your fuse it blowing.

FITZER

Postby FITZER » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:40 pm

Lol! Ya, found the problem! Worst part is, the guy that helped her son, was an apprentice electrician!!!!

Turned out, they spliced the stereo ground, into the dash light circuit! Hence, every time she turned the lights on, 'pop' went mister fuse! So, now everything works like a charm, and my chicky poo is happy again!

Return to “General Automotive”