2005 Pathfinder shuts off while moving.

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

djbit

2005 Pathfinder shuts off while moving.

Postby djbit » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:52 pm

2005 Pathfinder SE, 90035 miles.

The Pathfinder just shuts off in traffic out of the blue. Started happening today. My wife was with the kids in a heavy traffic street and poof it just shut off while moving. She was very lucky no one got hurt. A couple of guys helped her out by redirecting traffic around her. She then tried restarting the car and it started normal.

I went to pick her up, I started up the Path and it started normally. Drove 20 miles home and a mile from home it shut off in the middle of the road again while the car was moving. I put it in neutral, tried restarting and voila, like nothing was wrong. I put it in drive and I got home safely. NO check engine lights, had half a tank of gas.....

I'm wondering if this is recall of some sort. It's very dangerous! I left the car running in the garage for fifteen minutes and it runs fine but I have no trust in it right now.

Any ideas what can cause this?

I wish my 3rd post could of been nicer news.

Thanks!

Alex

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:31 pm

More than likely the ECM, also known as the ENGINE CONTROL MODULE. Need to have it looked at by a reputable shop.

skywhr

Postby skywhr » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:08 pm

I second the ECM idea

djbit

Postby djbit » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:27 pm

Thanks. Some one also mentioned the IPDM/ER, where all the fuses/relays go.

Anyone one a reputable shop in San Diego CA. ?

Tech

Postby Tech » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:03 pm

i have yet to see an ECM go on an r51 - more likely IPDM - done lots. You can monitor the data and voltage in real time with the dealer scan tool.

djbit

Postby djbit » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:13 pm

I'm sure it's IPDM/ER now. I found alot of folks experiencing the same problem. There is a National back order for this part aswell. Obviously, Nissan needs to step up and do a voluntary recall before someone ends up dead.

The IPDM/ER controller is where all the relays and fuses go, the thing is that u cannot buy just the bad relay you have to buy the entire thing and prices range form 140-190.00.

Titans are also having this issue.

The earliest I can get the part is early November.

ergh!

djbit

Postby djbit » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:10 am

UPDATE (2/9/2010): Still running strong. No issues with the Titan IPDM/ER on my Path.

UPDATE: Since the IPDM/ER continues to be on National back order, I decided to go to the local yard and look for one.

I did not find a Pathfinder but I did run across a 2005 Titan which had what looked to be the same IPDM/ER as the Pathfinder. I bought it for 65 bucks. I installed it in 15 minutes. I did remove the negative cable from the battery before.

So far so good. I have taken the Pathfinder to work all week (35 miles a day) and so far it's working just fine.

I also checked the part numbers for the the Titan (284B6-ZC00A) and the Pathfinder (284B7-ZC00A). They differ by one digit, 6 vs 7. The price is 60-70 bucks cheaper when you get the Titan IPDM/ER!

Anyways, I will let you guys know if the Titan IPDM/ER I'm using on my Pathfinder eventually fails.

Thanks!
Last edited by djbit on Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:57 pm

djbit wrote:UPDATE: Since the IPDM/ER continues to be on National back order, I decided to go to the local yard and look for one.

I did not find a Pathfinder but I did run across a 2005 Titan which had what looked to be the same IPDM/ER as the Pathfinder. I bought it for 65 bucks. I installed it in 15 minutes. I did remove the negative cable from the battery before.

So far so good. I have taken the Pathfinder to work all week (35 miles a day) and so far it's working just fine.

I also checked the part numbers for the the Titan (284B6-ZC00A) and the Pathfinder (284B7-ZC00A). They differ by one digit, 6 vs 7. The price is 60-70 bucks cheaper when you get the Titan IPDM/ER!

Anyways, I will let you guys know if the Titan IPDM/ER I'm using on my Pathfinder eventually fails.

Thanks!
EXCELLENT INFORMATION! How hard was it to install this part? I don't have this problem, but it might be good to know. Its a little scary that this can happen randomly , is this just a defective part ? or does something cause this part to get damaged ?

djbit

Postby djbit » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:27 pm

The part is very easy to install (20 min or so):

I took the negative battery connection off.

I unclipped the old one and pulled it out.

I unplugged everything from and plugged everything back to the new IPDM/ER. Everything plugs in only where it fits, so it's hard to screw up.

I connected the negative cable back to battery.

Turned car back on to try it.

note: The VDC light will stay on for 15 min or so. It will eventually go away.

Here's a very good link with a lot of insight, everything mostly applies to our Pathfinders as well:

http://www.titanspot.com/Titan/index.php?showtopic=9442

I think Nissan should make this a recall before someone gets seriously hurt or maybe that's what it will take along with big law suit.

djbit

Postby djbit » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:40 pm

As for this being a defective part... I think it is. I mean it's just a bunch of relays and fuses some type of internal controller from what I have read.

maybe, they did not build in enough tolerance in toe the relays but it's hard to say. I am thinking about taking the old IPDM/ER apart to see what it looks like inside.

duprade

Postby duprade » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:08 pm

Same thing happened to me. ECU died ... got it replaced under warranty luckily.

sleeper

Postby sleeper » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:35 am

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one. I'm having the same issue. It'll stall and if I try to start the car again without taking the key out first, it'll have this weird issue where the car literally feels like its running at 120 rpm while the service light flashes, so i'd have to take the key out completely and it would start up fine.

djbit, is the car still running fine with your replaced IPDM/ER?

Loi617

Postby Loi617 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:17 am

dammit my car have the same problem again. this time i recorded it so you guys can hear how it sounds like. is this what happen to your car too? let me know

if anyone can help me out or prob know what the problem is let me know thanks!

give me a call at 2395603647 if u know the problem, thanks for the help people

i own a 2005 NISSAN PATHFINDER V6 4.0 RWD SE EDITION

here let me know what you think. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON TOO!

VIDEO OF IT WONT STARTING! LISTEN TO HOW ITS TRYING TO START!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whSoCtCEzF8

FINALLY
THIS IS A COUPLE MINS AFTER I GOT IT STARTED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8ouGEcKQME

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:03 am

Loi617 wrote:dammit my car have the same problem again. this time i recorded it so you guys can hear how it sounds like. is this what happen to your car too? let me know

FINALLY

It sounds flooded (cranking well, with the occasional skip like its trying to start). Next time you try to start it if it does this, push the accelerator to the floor to clear the injectors while you are turning the key. Has it sat for a while?

With the Service Engine Soon light, you need to tell us the code that the ECU is throwing, there is a method of doing this by putting the truck into a diagnostic mode and counting the flashes of the lights. You can also take to most any autoparts chain and they will read the code for you.

The code with be 4 digits.

t

Loi617

Postby Loi617 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:15 am

disallow wrote:
Loi617 wrote:dammit my car have the same problem again. this time i recorded it so you guys can hear how it sounds like. is this what happen to your car too? let me know

FINALLY

It sounds flooded (cranking well, with the occasional skip like its trying to start). Next time you try to start it if it does this, push the accelerator to the floor to clear the injectors while you are turning the key. Has it sat for a while?

With the Service Engine Soon light, you need to tell us the code that the ECU is throwing, there is a method of doing this by putting the truck into a diagnostic mode and counting the flashes of the lights. You can also take to most any autoparts chain and they will read the code for you.

The code with be 4 digits.

t

the car is driven daily. the car doesnt really sit there. we use it as a daily drive. um yeah i can try to get the code cause i really want to fix this problem. and when i do try to start it. i do put my foot to the floor and try to floor it. so yeah. i just want to get this problem fix and over with. thanks for helping me out man i really appriciate it

oh and its a new battery too

Return to “R51 Electrical”