Auto tensioner noise

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

stang9946

Postby stang9946 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:10 am

Apparently the belt is the issue with most of these squealing issues, spent over $500 on belts, tensioners, labor but the $21 belt from nissan fixed the problem.

I think its a known issue for nissan since their belts are thicker and have a layer of felt or cloth stitched to the rubber that seems to dampen the noise, the belt on my other cars are solid rubber.

mikeshunk

Postby mikeshunk » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:45 am

I'm 2 weeks in after replacing the belt and tensioner with genuine nissan parts after two gates belt, and no noise yet. I did check the allignment of the pullys while i was in there, and they were off about a 1/16", and I let it be. The truoble it looks like to move the air comp. pulley just wasn't worth it. So far so good!!

trance34

Postby trance34 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:19 am

Update.

1 year later and OEM nissan belt started squealing on an everyday basis. replaced with new OEM belt and it went away.

cjj2d

Postby cjj2d » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:48 am

I just completed this project as well.

New tensioner and belt.

It completely took away all the squeaking and noise. The previous tensioner you could watch it jumping back and forth. this one stays still as it should.

Overall, this is an easy DIY. It took me all of an hour and twenty minutes, that is including 30 minutes to go to nissan and get belt and tensioner.

It was much easier than I thought. Thanks for all the posts about this, it was very helpful!

Tech

Postby Tech » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:49 am

Congrats on your success!

There is a pulley alignment procedure, and yes it's a terrible pain.....Especially the power steering!

Cliff_Jumper

Postby Cliff_Jumper » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:07 am

update:

the belt started squealing again since I changed it last year (Jan 2010). I used a "Bando" brand. Now, I'm hearing two distinct squeal. This will be my third belt for a vehicle with 70K miles on the ODO.

I'll update with what I find.

trance34

Postby trance34 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:36 am

Cliff_Jumper wrote:update:

the belt started squealing again since I changed it last year (Jan 2010). I used a "Bando" brand. Now, I'm hearing two distinct squeal. This will be my third belt for a vehicle with 70K miles on the ODO.

I'll update with what I find.
Use the OEM belt from Nissan. Thats the one that lasted the longest for me.

Cliff_Jumper

Postby Cliff_Jumper » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:47 pm

trance34 wrote: Use the OEM belt from Nissan. Thats the one that lasted the longest for me.
How long did your OEM last?

It's got to be more to it than just the type of belt or is this normal being it's a serpentine?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:49 pm

I have not changed the belt on my 08 as it only has 20k miles. I have on my 99 Jeep and used the Gatorback belt by goodyear. It's a good belt. Been on for about 60k now and works great.

cgray

Postby cgray » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Well time to bring back an old tread. I am on my third belt in 6 months. Looks like I am going to try putting on a new auto tensioner and buying the Nissan belt. Hopefully this gets rid of the problem AND saves me from having Nissan techs rip me off and look at it for me. Once again this site has saved me money. Thanks for all the info. I will post any new info if I learn anything new thats not in this thread already.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:17 pm

I believe the belt that is listed with the tensioner per the TSB is a little shorter than the original belt. Nissan instructs to replace as a pair. The updated tensioner and belt is also available on the aftermarket, listed as an "enhancement kit" or a "serpentine drive component kit." For Gates, it's part #38378K.

cgray

Postby cgray » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:21 pm

Installed the new Nissan belt and auto tensioner on Friday night. So far no squeaking and everything is back to normal. I really hope this gets rid of the squeaky belt for good!

blakemcginnis

Postby blakemcginnis » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:30 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I had a couple questions I was hoping someone might have an answer to before I order parts to fix this issue tomorrow:

1.) Reading through this thread it seems the theme is definitely buy the new OEM Nissan belt and tensioner kit instead of going aftermarket (because the belt grooves are different and the new tensioner suggested by the TSB provides more tension.) But a couple posts up (by smj999smj) it mentions a Gates kit (38378k) which is an "enhancement kit." Is this kit OK, or should I purchase separately the Nissan belt and auto tensioner?

2.) I found this thread, not because I had noticed my belt squealing (it might have been, but I haven't noticed) - BUT because my belt actually just came off upon starting the vehicle (2005 pathfinder.) I started the pathfinder and quickly realized my power steering didn't work and the battery light was on - checked under the hood and the belt was off.

I just got the belt back on, but am thinking if it came off once...it's bound to come off again, at a less opportune time.

So is it reasonable to think the belt/tensioner would be the cause of the belt slipping off?

thanks!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:38 am

Either kit will work. As far as the belt, it's possible that there may be an alignment issue with the P/S pump. There are a couple of Nissan TSB's that address belt issues:

NTB10-002:

http://www.370zcoupe.com/TSB/1ST24.pdf

NTB06-072b:

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledg ... Kj7rnuS9-8

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:33 am

smj999smj wrote:I believe the belt that is listed with the tensioner per the TSB is a little shorter than the original belt. Nissan instructs to replace as a pair. The updated tensioner and belt is also available on the aftermarket, listed as an "enhancement kit" or a "serpentine drive component kit." For Gates, it's part #38378K.
do you know this to be the case for sure?
i have a new belt that i'd like to use when i install a new tensioner.
the belt (part # 11720-EA200) was purchased 4 years ago.
the part number does not seem to have changed since then, that is, looking up the belt on several websites currently shows the same part number.
also, you've recommended a dealer (in N.J.?) that you've recommended for parts in the past.
i lost track of their name.
Thanks

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”