DIY: 2006 Nav AUX input.

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

kev1n

DIY: 2006 Nav AUX input.

Postby kev1n » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:35 pm

I have an 06 with Nav and I want to add an Ipod Auxilary JAck. I don't have the rear DVD entertainment system in the car so I have a lonely button that has REAR AV that I wanted to leverage. Keep in mind I have not done this yet, but based on all the threads here , I think it is very possible and fairly easy if you have some technical know-how. EDIT: Completed and it works perfectly

I started reading this thread by scboyd99 and got a lot of inspiration from it. Credit goes to him for the picture of the back of the radio and the schematics.

http://thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=2264

He did a cool thing by adding a aftermarket rear DVD system. I don't have a need for that, but I sorely miss playing my Ipod with a direct plug ( as opposed to an FM modulater,etc)

I have done something like this in the past on my Corvette and Maxima by tapping into the Satellite radio module for the vette and the cd changer harnes for the maxima so I thought It should be fairly straightforward on the Pathfinder.

1. First thing you have to do is locate the M46 plug on the back of the radio, this pic from scboyd99 shows the back of the unit with some temporary wires connected to it, that's the one we will be working with.

You will have to also obtain this wire harness ( EDIT Part Number 71-7552 ) should be around $9 or so. NOTE: you will have to grind this piece down to fit it into the back of the radio. I basically used a dremel and split the piece into have and then fine tuned it and test fitted as I went along.
Here is what it looks like.

I wired it up as per the pinouts below and it looks like this, it needs to be grinded down to fit at this point. Sorry I didn't take pics after grinding the piece down.

2. Next take a look at the pinouts and the pin labels here. In order for this to work the system needs to think that something is connected to that harness, we can achieve this by shorting pins 39 + 40. Once you do that when you hit the button it should put you in rear AV mode and play whatever is connected to that harness , in this case pins labeled RH+,RH-,LH+,LH-

3. Wiring up the audio signals, there are many ways to do this, but I think the best way would be to obtain the following aux input jack from radio shack. I've mounted this in Vette ashtray and its pretty clean and out of the way. All you need to do is wire up the L and R signals to the panel mount and the negatives to the ground. This mount has 5 connections on it but you only need to use three 2,5 and 1. the 3 and 4 are used to complete a circuit when you pull a plug out of the connection- sort of like a head phone connection on a laptop , when you pull it it re-enables the speakers on a laptop

4. Here's what it looks like in my vette, I just need to find a good spot in the Pathy to mount it.

Again, I have not tried this yet, but I will in the next couple weeks and let you know how it works. Only downside is you can't have a rear DVD system installed in the car to do this, but I think you might be able to do some creative switching and make it work, perhaps using the 3/4 pins on the panel mount.

EDIT: It works! I can now use the Rear AV as a AUX input.
Last edited by kev1n on Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 7 times in total.

pearl62

Postby pearl62 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:58 pm

Cool! I can't wait to see if this works...

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:02 pm

Well I got my harness, and modified it to the wiring that will work for an AUX input

I will try to install it tommorow and report back the results

here's a pic of the modified harness. I had to grind it down buy cutting it in hald and then test fitting and grinding as I went along.

Last edited by kev1n on Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:44 pm

I am happy to report that this method works!!! It was very easy and it was exactly as I described in the first post.

pearl62

Postby pearl62 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:04 pm

I just did this mod too, and I can confirm it works great. I previously had a PAC audio aux adapter and it worked but with a lot of background hiss which I was unable to get rid of. This method has perfect audio with no noise at all. Awesome!

dshontell

I added the Aux to my 06

Postby dshontell » Tue May 18, 2010 11:29 am

First off, Thank you Kev1n! He helped me several times with the information I wanted to verify. This mod worked great. Trimming the Plug was interesting. I think I was most concerned when I powered up the radio for the first time. It worked fine. :D
I have the PAC unit in my 05 Frontier and my wife always hears the whine from it...I don't. Getting older I guess. She did not want the Ipod hooked up with the PAC. I will post a picture of the modified plug soon.

mcapsu

what about without NAV

Postby mcapsu » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:30 am

has anyone tried this on a factory head unit without NAV on an 06 SE or do I have to resort to the aai-nis2 ?? I do have the CD/rear AV button

sherv101

what about without NAV

Postby sherv101 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:17 pm

I second Mcapsu's question: will this work on a 2006 w/ Bose W/OUT NAV?

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Fri May 06, 2011 8:55 pm

IF you have the rear AV button then yes I think it should work.

jetwrangler

Postby jetwrangler » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:21 pm

So did anyone get it to work on an 2006 with Bose without NAV. Before I buy all the parts wanted to check and see if it was confirmed working, SHERV101 or MCAPSU??? Also why does the harness need to be grinded, is it not the correct one for the radio?

Got my PF monday and already starting to get it setup. First step was tint, it's 103 outside now so that was a must. Now to the electronics side of things. Thanks for the help, glad I found this place.

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:56 pm

jetwrangler wrote:So did anyone get it to work on an 2006 with Bose without NAV. Before I buy all the parts wanted to check and see if it was confirmed working, SHERV101 or MCAPSU??? Also why does the harness need to be grinded, is it not the correct one for the radio?

Got my PF monday and already starting to get it setup. First step was tint, it's 103 outside now so that was a must. Now to the electronics side of things. Thanks for the help, glad I found this place.
Yes the harness is not the correct one that fits the radio thats why it has to be grinded. I don't know if a direct fit harness that works.

jetwrangler

Postby jetwrangler » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:30 pm

Been at this for 2 hours NO LUCK. Cut and hacked and still cant get this thing to fit in the plug. Suggestions??? Also is the center part of the RCA cord the positive and the shield the negative?

jetwrangler

Postby jetwrangler » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:32 pm

Finally got it and took pictures of the cut up harness. Used a scroll saw to half it then a belt sander to thin it down. 2006 Pathfinder SE with Bose works almost Perfect.

The reason for the almost is you have to crank the sound up almost all the way to 31, for a normal 13-15 loudness. Might find an inline preamp. I ran the RCA direct to barrel plugs then to RCA-1/8 headphone jack. Probably enough cord to weaken the signal. Also plugged in my phone charger to my phone and lost the RH channel. Well good thing for the weekend to troubleshoot it.

mrfatboy

Postby mrfatboy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:20 pm

Hey guys,

I just finished this modification for my 2005 Pathfinder Offroad. It had the stock Bose 6 CD changer stereo in it. I am connecting everything to my iphone 4S. . I'm glad i didn't pay for that $1800 nav package :)

I followed the instructions above. I ended up putting the 1/8" jack in the "10 o'clock" position above the top cigarette lighter.

Music fades on incoming phone calls and nav commands. I am using Navigon GPS on the iphone. Phone, music, nav, audio books work great. My wife is on a business trip in Vietnam this week so I Skyped her with video. Amazing.

I used this youtube video to take apart the dash. I did not unplug any of the wired connected to the dash pieces. You can just move the pieces around while connected. Tricky but doable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwALGobz4cc

Here are some photos.

stew82

Postby stew82 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:25 pm

[quote="mrfatboy"]Hey guys,

I just finished this modification for my 2005 Pathfinder Offroad. It had the stock Bose 6 CD changer stereo in it. I am connecting everything to my iphone 4S. . I'm glad i didn't pay for that $1800 nav

I know this is an old post but I really want to do this mod. I'm wondering does the 6 disk still work after doing this? I have all the parts to do this but don't want to do it if it disables the cd player. My wife is still a disk gal and is the primary driver of the pathy. Let me know!

Greg

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”