Rear Hatch Hydraulics

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:59 am

Triffid wrote:I replaced mine about a year ago... And yes it is worst in cold weather...... Triffid
Did you replace them with OEM or something else? Is the something else better?

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:36 pm

I used the OEM ones... The first ones lasted about 4 years.............. Triffid

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:12 am

I wonder if the Armada struts are any different (stronger), and if they would fit. Mine are getting lazy too, so I'm thinking about going this route. I'll have to check part numbers and see if they are even different. I would imagine the Armada's rear hatch is quite a bit heavier then ours, thus the struts are a little more robust.

openspaces

Postby openspaces » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:27 pm

I absolutely need to replace mine (2006). I've banged my head a half dozen times in the last week. It used to stay if I pushed the batch up but now that it's cold it just falls down. If anyone finds a better non oem option please post it up. Thanks in advance

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:45 pm

Her are the specs off lift support depot website

05+ Pathfinder
http://www.autopartsbylou.com/lift-supp ... e=Liftgate

04+ Armada
http://www.autopartsbylou.com/lift-supp ... e=Liftgate

They are definitely different....

The website home page also states that if you need more pressure then just contact them and they can help, I might shoot them an email myself. I'm tired of my sagging lift gate :roll:

EDIT: I just sent them a message, I will update on what I find out.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:10 pm

Storm4.0 wrote:EDIT: I just sent them a message, I will update on what I find out.
thanks, man...hopefully they are helpful as i hate mine in the cold (anything under 60F and they start to sag; drop below 40 and they are stupid)

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:08 pm

Darn.... it was worth shot. This was the email that was sent :(

Greetings:

Thank you for your interest in our product. Unfortunately the only supports we carry with the correct dimensions for the Pathfinder are 185 pounds. In order to go 15-20 pounds higher we add an extra 6 inches in extended length which would damage the liftgate. If you have any other questions please let us know.

Thank you,
Toni Fishman

EDIT: I did a little looking around on their site and I found these http://www.autopartsbylou.com/lift-supp ... &x=12&y=17 . They have .03" more extended length, .23" more compressed length, 16 more lbs. of force and anodized B/S ends instead of nylon. I'm going to order these and see how they work out, I'll keep you all updated. BTW they were $54 shipped and the cross refrence is to a Saturn VUE liftgate support StrongArm 4363 :?

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:57 pm

d'oh....not really what i was hoping to hear :(

but i am hopeful your 'saturn' fix works....would love to not bang my head on the gate this winter (well...not again at least)

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:55 am

guinnessjim wrote:i hate mine in the cold (anything under 60F and they start to sag; drop below 40 and they are stupid)
Pffft, what do you mean "cold," Jim? I didn't know it got cold in hell :lol:

Growing up in Reno, the saying was (is) "Reno is so close to hell you can see sparks." For those not in the know, Sparks is the name of a smaller town bordering Reno.

BamaRed

Postby BamaRed » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:56 am

I replaced mine with new OEM ones from Courtesy and it has worked great ever since.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:05 pm

NVSteve wrote:
guinnessjim wrote:i hate mine in the cold (anything under 60F and they start to sag; drop below 40 and they are stupid)
Pffft, what do you mean "cold," Jim? I didn't know it got cold in hell :lol:

Growing up in Reno, the saying was (is) "Reno is so close to hell you can see sparks." For those not in the know, Sparks is the name of a smaller town bordering Reno.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

now if evil looks would only fix my lift gate...

jarozi

Postby jarozi » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:42 pm

I ordered two of these from CourtesyParts.com about a month ago, working like a champ...

[90424Q] STAY ASSY-BACK DOOR,RH - Pathfinder (R51) 08/2004-02/20

Were $13.24 each.

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:07 pm

jarozi wrote:I ordered two of these from CourtesyParts.com about a month ago, working like a champ...

[90424Q] STAY ASSY-BACK DOOR,RH - Pathfinder (R51) 08/2004-02/20

Were $13.24 each.
I was debating on getting the stock ones considering they were $16 cheaper. I keep a set of jumper cables in the other cubby on the tailgate, the first-aid kit hardly adds weight, but the cables weigh a good amount. So I wanted to get something that would support the added weight and not start to sag after 2 years, hopefuly these will be worth the added cost.

serturbo

Postby serturbo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:44 am

macbell7 posted this a while back:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread ... ight=hatch

shv2sail searched the McMaster-Carr site, but couldn't find anything that would work.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:31 pm

G35TR wrote:I wonder if the Armada struts are any different (stronger), and if they would fit. Mine are getting lazy too, so I'm thinking about going this route. I'll have to check part numbers and see if they are even different. I would imagine the Armada's rear hatch is quite a bit heavier then ours, thus the struts are a little more robust.
The problem isn't the amount of pressure. The problem is they wear out too fast. Ours were just replaced by the dealer under warranty and the hatch felt difficult to close at first because we were used to the weakness of the old ones. I think if you get some that have higher pressure, the hatch is going to be more difficult to close than you want it to be. I'd like to just find some that don't wear out so fast. I guess at $13.24 each you can replace them every 3 or 4 years and it's not that big of a deal.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”