Rear Hatch Hydraulics

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

AZ_Path

Rear Hatch Hydraulics

Postby AZ_Path » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:32 am

I've noticed my rear hatch does not move up as far as it used to and I can push it up about 5" more after it has stopped lifting itself. I know the hydraulics will wear out over time, but it seems a bit early. The colder temp plays a roll too I'm sure, but it's not very cold here. How are the hydraulics performing for others? Are mine weaker than normal?

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:19 am

I replaced mine about a year ago... And yes it is worst in cold weather...... Triffid

valenburg

Postby valenburg » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:20 am

It's actually pneumatic (air) so the cold air does effect it. Mine's has started doing that to since I moved from florida. I was thinking of maybe trying to find a replacement that could handle a larger load. Haven't looked to much into it yet though.

lionbar

Postby lionbar » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:37 pm

Yep, have the same problem here in the U.A.E., where the temperature reaches a minimum of 10 deg's c at night in peak winter. They lasted about a year b4 failing, i put it down to high temps 50 deg's c in summer.

maybe now its not as mentioned the temp, maybe its cheapo parts used.

cant be bothered to change mine, the back seat is as good a place to shovel in stuff, the trunk bu the way is spotless!!!!!

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:08 pm

Yup, same problem on my 08. Had it replaced a couple of months after I bought it brand new thinking it was a defect, and the new ones are having the same problem.

Also, did you guys noticed that when closing the rear hatch, it comes down with a big SLAM!

kacjames

Postby kacjames » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:29 pm

rragpaoa wrote:Yup, same problem on my 08. Had it replaced a couple of months after I bought it brand new thinking it was a defect, and the new ones are having the same problem.

Also, did you guys noticed that when closing the rear hatch, it comes down with a big SLAM!
Actually you just got to drop it gently on the locking unit , there is an assisted closing feature or something like that on the hatch , so you dont need to push it closed or slam it to close it .

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:43 pm

Sounds like Nissan is saving money on parts. Are Lift Cylinders the proper name for the parts? This is the only thing I have found so far.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ ... atalogid=1

Suliman

Postby Suliman » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:39 pm

They're sometimes called hatch struts too.

macbell7

Postby macbell7 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:22 am

Ive started to notice that mine suck also. I think the easiest fix if your willing to pay little bit just upgrade to a heavier load shock. Upgrading would make the hatch door literally fly open, which is what you want.

sveintore

Postby sveintore » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:34 am

kacjames wrote:
rragpaoa wrote:Yup, same problem on my 08. Had it replaced a couple of months after I bought it brand new thinking it was a defect, and the new ones are having the same problem.

Actually you just got to drop it gently on the locking unit , there is an assisted closing feature or something like that on the hatch , so you dont need to push it closed or slam it to close it .
Not on my european 2005. But I'd love to have it.. :p

shv2sail

Postby shv2sail » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:28 pm

The struts on my 08 were weak/bad from the factory as well and had them replaced under warranty (after waiting for MONTHS for them to come in). Apparently, they are a popular item to replace. Now about 9 months later, I'm noticing (especially with the cold) that they're starting to not open the hatch all the way again.

In anyone finds aftermarket heavy-duty struts that fit the R51s, I'm interested for sure.

As for closing the hatch, it would be nice if there was a damper of some nature that would PREVENT the hatch from slamming shut...which happenes if you don't lower the hatch all the way by hand and gently place it into the electronic closure assist. Any thoughts in this??

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:36 pm

sveintore wrote:
Not on my european 2005. But I'd love to have it.. :p
I think this feature started on the 08's.

macbell7

Postby macbell7 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:39 pm

hopefully the upgraded heavier duty shocks would slow the closing motion down so its not a complete slam. I hate when other people shut the hatch cause they slam it hard without expecting it. There is a recent topic on the newx.org fourm about the rear hatch shocks needing to be replaced, seems to be a common problem with nissan suv's. I wonder how the armada's do ?

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:40 pm

macbell7 wrote:Ive started to notice that mine suck also. I think the easiest fix if your willing to pay little bit just upgrade to a heavier load shock. Upgrading would make the hatch door literally fly open, which is what you want.
I am willing to pay a little more to upgrade to something better, however I'm not sure I want something that's strong enough to make the hatch fly open. It would probably make it much more difficult to shut and I'd like my wife to be able to close it without needing both hands. The amount of force it had when new was good. I just need something that doesn't wear out so fast.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:01 pm

AZ_Path wrote: I think this feature started on the 08's.
Hmmm, okay, I was wondering what the hell everyone was talking about.

As to the toy shock, upgrading to a larger one wouldn't cause the lid to fly open. Now if we had a big spring instead of a shock, then it would probably flip the hatch open so fast it could knock someone out. Since we just want a bigger shock, then if anything, it would only be harder to close.

There has to be something out there that would work, but who's going to volunteer their time to search, research & report? Any takers?

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”