Rear Hatch Hydraulics

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

NoCode

Postby NoCode » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:06 pm

Installed the 200# McMasters on my gate today. Very easy job, makes a world of difference. Takes a bit of oomph to pull it down to close but that's a minor complaint. They work fantastic. Thanks to all who provided the info to get this job done.

mike55

rear liftgate issue...

Postby mike55 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:25 pm

I'm a bit confused on the hatch fix. I have a 2011 LE Pathfinder.

Should I get the Strong Arm (if so, which one)? Or do I go with the McMaster 9416K28 arms with 9416K78 10mm ball sockets?

Clearly by the comments I should avoid OEM!

Thanks in advance...found this place on a search and love the input.

Mike

azaizai

Postby azaizai » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:10 am

I also did the 200lb McMaster struts (with the 4 ends). Came out to 50 bucks all said and done.

Being 6'5", these guys made a world of difference. It brings the hatch to its stopping point and holds it there, no problem. There's no serious risk of getting upper-cutted or anything, its not that fast...but its getting there with no struggle.

To put it another way, I installed the struts one at a time. When I disconnected the second strut, after having installed one...the one strut held the hatch up by itself!

One minor complaint came in the form of my 5'2" wife...who now has to jump a little to pull the hatch back down. Just confirms that this is my ride...and more fuel to the "get rid of the side steps and get 33" tires" thread...

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:29 am

azaizai wrote: One minor complaint came in the form of my 5'2" wife...who now has to jump a little to pull the hatch back down. Just confirms that this is my ride...and more fuel to the "get rid of the side steps and get 33" tires" thread...
:lol:

ThePainClinic

Postby ThePainClinic » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:57 pm

Getting the 200# for the hatch and the 30# for the glass. But will I need to purchase different clips for my 2010 LE PF?

Anyone have any info on adding a motorized latch for the lift?

Respectfully,

PapaRomeo51

Postby PapaRomeo51 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:52 pm

It's that time of year again. The hatch falls down and hits me in the back so I'm replacing the struts without any more delay. I was about to place my order, and thought I had better check the glass struts too. Glad I did as they are not holding the glass up, so I'm replacing them while I'm at it. All 4 struts ordered and will ship in the morning.

McMaster-Carr
Total cost: $63.10.

Thank you all for the great info. Awesome forum! Now, after I replace my front brakes and thermostat all will be well again with my Pathfinder.

ThePainClinic

Postby ThePainClinic » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:30 pm

Anybody know if and when the clips changed? Do I order them through McMaster-Carr?

Rogue9

Postby Rogue9 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:04 pm

Bump:

So anyone have the correct numbers for a 2010?
I saw the post that someone drilled out the end to make it thread on? is there a properly fitting one?

thx

Edit: Some more through reading this is for a 2011 which I think will work for me. Incase anyone else is wondering.

2011 Struts
200lb struts. McMaster-Carr - Item number 9416k28
new 10mm sockets - 9416K76

Rogue9

Postby Rogue9 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:17 pm

update:

I ordered these parts from McMaster-Carr.
Took a couple days extra due to some delay on UPS's part but otherwise it made good time.

Easy to install (Needle nose pliers and a flathead screwdriver)
200lb of push in -2 Celsius and the trunk lid went up strong.
It did make the hinge mountings flex a bit when it hit the limit but I expect it to soften a bit with use and lighten up.
I can't imagine what you guys with 225lb struts see when it flies open.
Good stuff!

FirstIn

Postby FirstIn » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:14 pm

I order the McMaster Carr struts as well. I ordered them on Thursday and they were at my door Friday when I got home from work! Hopefully I can find some time to put them on tomorrow..

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:12 pm

I ordered the window struts from McMaster Carr and they should arrive today. Thanks NVSteve for the handy part #.

psinsyd

Postby psinsyd » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Hey all,

Just picked up my '09 SE two days ago and this was one of the first things I noticed about it.

Might as well take the plunge and replace all four struts (hatch and glass).

Want to be 100% sure I get the right struts with the correct threads.

Could anyone help out with part numbers for the McMaster struts (200lb for the hatch) for the hatch and glass for the '09 SE?

Thanks guys. First Nissan so I'm a total newb here!

J

jhansen

Postby jhansen » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:06 pm

I just put in my new Mcmaster-carr struts on my 2008 pathfinder rear hatch door. I read through the entire thread to make sure I was getting the right product. I purchased the 200lb. But now that they are on they are doing the same thing my old ones were. The door isn't staying up and slowly falls until it slams shut. I'm wondering if anyone would know what the problem is. Did I get a bad pair of struts? Should I order another 200 or go up to the 225lb? Could I have ruined the new struts when I was putting them on? Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Thank You!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:59 pm

I can't see how you could have damaged them putting them in. It sounds like one or both of the struts is faulty. I put 200# McMaster-Carr struts on my 2006 Pathy about a year ago and haven't had any issues with the door coming back down. I just pull the door open about 6" and the struts are strong enough to push the door all the way open. Stock units are rated @ 175#, so you are getting and extra 50# of force with the 200# units, which is plenty.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:43 pm

jhansen wrote:I just put in my new Mcmaster-carr struts on my 2008 pathfinder rear hatch door. I read through the entire thread to make sure I was getting the right product. I purchased the 200lb. But now that they are on they are doing the same thing my old ones were. The door isn't staying up and slowly falls until it slams shut. I'm wondering if anyone would know what the problem is. Did I get a bad pair of struts? Should I order another 200 or go up to the 225lb? Could I have ruined the new struts when I was putting them on? Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Thank You!
Check your invoice. I'd say you either have a bad strut, or they sent you the wrong ones. Pop out the bottom on each side and push them up to see if it feels like they are both the same. I'm guessing one will probably be much easier to push up than the other.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”