head unit installation problems! HELP!!

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

Ne san Paf Finder

head unit installation problems! HELP!!

Postby Ne san Paf Finder » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:46 am

ok im a newbie here, but i own a 1995 nissan pathfinder SE. the factory head unit still works but no display so i thought its time for an upgrade. i have a bose factory head unit from a nissan maxima that i tried putting in (didnt matter what head unit i tried, still caused the same problem) so after the pain of wiring everything, the head unit powers on but no sound? i checked all my connections, fuses and what not. everything was fine but just no sound. i checked if the head unit worked so i took a speaker i had layin around and wired it while still powered by the and that happens to work. get my problem? any help please????

Hobejam

Postby Hobejam » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:11 am

I just got done swapping my stock head unit out for a Pioneer unit in my 1997 XE and had this same issue. Turns out that, despite NOT having the BOSE system, there is still a factory amp that drives the stock speakers.

The wiring harness I bought to adapt the stock harness connectors to the Pioneer wiring had a blue amp power and black amp ground wire that did not seem to match anything on the Pioneer's wiring. However, after connecting the blue amp wire to the blue power antenna wire on the Pioneer unit and splicing the ground into the existing ground wire, the speakers work perfectly. The stock amp needs a signal from the head unit to power on.

Hope this helps.

PeterKesel

Postby PeterKesel » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:15 am

If you have an old car that can’t lasts for long then you don't need to spend high in buying HID kit. Rather you can choose McCulloch conversion kit that never requires a professional to install it.

HID Kit

Ne san Paf Finder

Postby Ne san Paf Finder » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:41 pm

PeterKesel wrote:If you have an old car that can’t lasts for long then you don't need to spend high in buying HID kit. Rather you can choose McCulloch conversion kit that never requires a professional to install it.

HID Kit
well, thanks for the advice that wasnt asked for. your off topic buddy. im talkin about head units.

Ne san Paf Finder

Postby Ne san Paf Finder » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:48 pm

Hobejam wrote:I just got done swapping my stock head unit out for a Pioneer unit in my 1997 XE and had this same issue. Turns out that, despite NOT having the BOSE system, there is still a factory amp that drives the stock speakers.

The wiring harness I bought to adapt the stock harness connectors to the Pioneer wiring had a blue amp power and black amp ground wire that did not seem to match anything on the Pioneer's wiring. However, after connecting the blue amp wire to the blue power antenna wire on the Pioneer unit and splicing the ground into the existing ground wire, the speakers work perfectly. The stock amp needs a signal from the head unit to power on.

Hope this helps.
thanks for the help but unfortunately it didnt work :( i have no idea what to do. only the stock factory head unit that came with the car works. i tried your advice and still didnt work. about the stock harness adapter, the small one, on the adapter theres only 4 wires. 2 green and 2 purple. but from the stock connecter theres 6 wires. not sure if thats the problem but im tryin to figure out something thats causing this issue.

Ne san Paf Finder

Postby Ne san Paf Finder » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:49 am

well after 20 minutes of searching for the color code of the harnesses i finally figured it out. even tho my pathfinder is a 95, it was an early model from when it first first came out and the radio harness was still a 94's harness. anyways, the harness adapter that i bought was missing one wire, the blue power amp wire. long story short, i somehow ran a wire connecting into the stock harness to the head unit and is now working perfectly fine, thanks for the help tho!

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”