AitLift -- Keeping the air hoses on

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

LittleStevie

Airlift install - update

Postby LittleStevie » Sun May 27, 2007 6:28 pm

Just an update, I had the 2WD Pathfinder with newly-installed Airlift 1000 (60792, Kia Sorento) out around town for about 20 miles today at a pressure of about 22 PSI.

Steering response is markedly improved, the truck seems to react to steering input much more quickly and accurately. Definitely less body roll in the corners. My last SUV was a '97 Ford Explorer on which I installed upgraded sway bars, stiffer shocks, and lowered by 1" for improved handling...I would compare the improved response of the Airlift to a general stiffening of the suspension, as I had with the upgrade on the Explorer, for about $1,000 less. Granted, the '05 Pathfinder suspension, especially with independent rear, started out much better.

The airlift kit also seems to dampen the side-to-side response going over bumps, for instance going over a swale at an angle. At the same time though, ride quality is maintained and on normal straight driving, there's no difference. That is, it seems to give the better handling of stiffer shocks without the trade off of a rough ride.

So again, there's still the question of which Airlift kit to use on the 2WD, but at least with the 60792, I don't think anyone would be disappointed for its improvement on normal everyday handling. Maybe if you consistently carry heavy loads you'd want the 4WD Pathfinder springs to have full time vertical engagement, but I'm really happy with the 60792 springs. I can't wait to try it out with a load when I can get an excuse. Wish I had a boat.

mtbpath

Postby mtbpath » Sun May 27, 2007 11:51 pm

so, for us Pathfinder owners.
are you saying the Kia kits will fit the Pathfinder models?
does it mean lower price to purchase Kia over Pathfinder?
I will be getting this kit for my 4X4 Path.
going to get the Smart electronic thingy, can't think of the offical name.
thanks.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Mon May 28, 2007 8:28 am

mtbpath wrote:so, for us Pathfinder owners.
are you saying the Kia kits will fit the Pathfinder models?
does it mean lower price to purchase Kia over Pathfinder?
I will be getting this kit for my 4X4 Path.
going to get the Smart electronic thingy, can't think of the offical name.
thanks.
If you have a 4WD, definitely get the kit made for the 4WD Pathfinder. This discussion was really only about which kit to use for the 2WD, which have a slightly shorter compressed spring length. For the 2WD, the Kia springs seem to work pretty well but either would probably work.

mtbpath

Postby mtbpath » Mon May 28, 2007 11:35 am

LittleStevie thanks for the clarification.
I will indeed get the kit made for the Pathfinder 4X4.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Thu May 31, 2007 4:24 am

So w/ the Kia kit on your 2wd, does the bag not fully vertically fill the spring?

W/ my 4x4 kit the bag fully fills the space (both X and Y) even at 5PSI (really fills it at 0psi also)

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Thu May 31, 2007 3:33 pm

amr40509 wrote:So w/ the Kia kit on your 2wd, does the bag not fully vertically fill the spring?

W/ my 4x4 kit the bag fully fills the space (both X and Y) even at 5PSI (really fills it at 0psi also)
Right, it just fills up most of it (with about 1" gap) and bulges out between the coils. That's where it must be doing its work, because it's definitely doing something!

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Thu May 31, 2007 3:53 pm

LittleStevie wrote:[Right, it just fills up most of it (with about 1" gap) and bulges out between the coils. That's where it must be doing its work, because it's definitely doing something!
Too bad there doesn't seem to be a 2WD R51 owner who's tried the 4WD bag kit already. Looks like I'm gonna be the test case. Gimme 30 days and I'll post back here.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Thu May 31, 2007 4:17 pm

SilverGhost wrote: Too bad there doesn't seem to be a 2WD R51 owner who's tried the 4WD bag kit already. Looks like I'm gonna be the test case. Gimme 30 days and I'll post back here.
Let us know how it does, if mine ever fail I might have to consider what I'd replace them with. For now I'm happy though.

Cracker

Postby Cracker » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:49 am

I carry two dirt bikes on a rack off my hitch and the weight is significant--especially when the second bike on the very back end is added. The airbags are awesome for this. There is still sag but there is no bounce going over bumps. Make sure they hoses are tight going into the bags (mine are the screw-in type) and the psi will last for weeks, months even. I don't use the auto-air fill thing.

marvmmarv

Postby marvmmarv » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:37 pm

I tagged on to this old thread to add some new information. Several R51 2WD owners, including myself, wanted to add air bags to the springs.

Firestone now sells the Coil-Rite air bags for 2WD and 4WD versions. (The same kit fits both.) http://www.fsip.com/riderite

They work great! The ride is no longer mushy and the the rear end doesn't sag like before when towing.

Marv

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:46 am

I have had the Airbags for over 30k, but I no longer feel that they are my ideal premanant solution. With time I've began to notice alot more slop with the front suspension and an unatural feel accelerating out of sharp turns at low speeds. I drive rather spiritedly and have my bags anywhere from 18.5-21psi for driving around town and towing.
Yes the rear end has definately been more stable and steering has improved. I personally have never had an issue losing a hose or any air pressure with exception of typical temature shift shrinkage/expansion. The bags have really been an asset especially after sagging the crap out of my rear springs by carrying my WR450 on the back of a Joehauler before finally ordering the bags and then going over to a trailer. I can't Imagine how Crackers rear end is with 2 bikes suspended off just the hitch. I have finally pulled the trigger and ordered the OME meduim duty suspension. It appears to be a better balanced solution for my needs. Then I'll be able to objectivly comare the results of both. I don't think anyone else has gone with airbag route and then went OME...
Don't get me wrong this is probably one of the most bang for your buck mods out there and I'll probably look into getting a set for the OME rear springs if I find myself doing any towing that is heavier than what I'm doing now. Since I'm almost at 50k, the recommended Shock replacment milage, I figured the amount of ching I'd be dumping for OEM equipment that supports IMO a poor spring choice, I'd be better off spending a little more and replacing the entire setup. Plus it would be nice to park next to the couple other current gen Pathys and X's at work and having a little height on them.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”