Poll - What camera do you use?

Amateur Photographer? Us too. Post your latest choice shots, doesn't necessarily have to be automotive related.

Moderator: volvite

mderick

Canon T21

Postby mderick » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:53 am

Has anyone seen the new T2i yet?
I could never justify the D7 (would love to though)
I understand that the T2i uses a few paired down features of the D7.

carshius

Postby carshius » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:20 am

I am just staring to think about getting serious in photography. I use a nikon p100 right now. It has some neat user adjustability and I am getting to know how to adjust the shutter speed and aperture. Hopefully a rebel in my future...

GFremont

Postby GFremont » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:55 am

Nikon D70S and Speedlight flash.

Had it for 5 years now and it has never failed me.

Would love to get the 18-200mm VRII lens.

sbs0518

Postby sbs0518 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:52 pm

Body: Canon 40D
Lens: Canon 28-80 USM with UV filter

Absolutely LOVE IT. Has better feature set than the Tx series bodies and costs less than 1 arm and 1.5 legs. Admittedly I haven't priced these items lately......

Wish list:
Lens Hood
Longer Zoom or Telephoto Lens (undecided on F/L)
External Flash
New Tripod
Unipod

TNP ROCKS!

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:49 pm

marmillerX wrote:Let me start the poll. We just got our first DSLR camera for Christmas. Can't wait to get out there and take some great shots.

-What camera do you have?
Nikon D5000

-What lenses do you have? 18-55mm Nikkor VR Lens

-Cool Accessories? None yet
Same, actually I bought this camera for my wife for the same xmas; 1 month after our first child was born.

selliott

Postby selliott » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:02 pm

Canon 1D

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:43 am

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:30 pm

FLiPMaRC wrote:Here's my gear list on POTN: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho ... count=1916
Is that a current gear list, or a list of gear that you have owned? I only have 2 bodies & it drives me nuts that I have that many. Still waiting for that "one camera to rule them all," which most likely will never happen for me because of my requirements.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:52 pm

It's my current gear list :lol: I have a camera for each occasion, just like I have a bag for each occasion also. Hahahhaaa!! Like tomorrow I'm going snowboarding. All I'm bringing is my little waterproof point & shoot camera.

Out of all the P&S cameras, the only ones I'm currently using is the Fuji Z33WP and the Canon SD830. The rest is in storage somewhere.

The two DSLR bodies I actively use. Depends on the occasion or the venue, I'll bring the small Rebel XSi body and a small prime lens only if I want to small.

I believe in using the right tool for the job. A swiss army all in one tool may get the job done, but it may make it harder. That's just my opinion :wink:

BTW, what are your "requirements"? :lol:

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:20 pm

FLiPMaRC wrote:It's my current gear list :lol: I have a camera for each occasion, just like I have a bag for each occasion also. Hahahhaaa!! Like tomorrow I'm going snowboarding. All I'm bringing is my little waterproof point & shoot camera.
Crazy, man, just crazy.
I believe in using the right tool for the job. A swiss army all in one tool may get the job done, but it may make it harder. That's just my opinion :wink:
I can kind of agree with that, when it comes to tools :)

What I don't get is why you would have so many P&S cameras? Not that there's anything wrong with that (whatever floats your boat), but I just haven't run across anyone that has so many different cameras. I used to shoot film SLRs back in the day & really liked them. When digital came along, I ended up going through 3 different Canon P&S cams until the prices of the DSLRS came down to human levels, then bought one. Since then, there is no way I could ever return to a P&S cam, primarily because there is such a massive difference in image quality. I take my big honkin' DSLR pretty much everywhere I go, and by that I mean carrying it around-hiking, backpacking, skiing, biking, kayaking, etc. Would I like something smaller? Hell yes. One of the reasons why I bought the little Sony Nex-5n was because of its low light abilities. I've actually not been that impressed with low light, but I have been impressed with the dynamic range. Really good stuff at low ISO.
BTW, what are your "requirements"? :lol:
Pretty simple: a sensor 4/3 or larger, ability to swap lenses and, most important of all, it has to be dust & weatherproof (along with the lenses). Unfortunately, there are virtually no DSLRs on the market that fit that bill. That's why I shoot with an Olympus DSLR. I might be tempted to get the Oly EM-5 when it is released, but I'd need to see lots of user reports first. That would at least shrink the body size down for me, although I'd still be using very large & heavy DSLR glass on it.

Aren't cameras great?

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:26 am

NVSteve wrote:I can kind of agree with that, when it comes to tools :)

What I don't get is why you would have so many P&S cameras? Not that there's anything wrong with that (whatever floats your boat), but I just haven't run across anyone that has so many different cameras. I used to shoot film SLRs back in the day & really liked them. When digital came along, I ended up going through 3 different Canon P&S cams until the prices of the DSLRS came down to human levels, then bought one. Since then, there is no way I could ever return to a P&S cam, primarily because there is such a massive difference in image quality. I take my big honkin' DSLR pretty much everywhere I go, and by that I mean carrying it around-hiking, backpacking, skiing, biking, kayaking, etc. Would I like something smaller? Hell yes. One of the reasons why I bought the little Sony Nex-5n was because of its low light abilities. I've actually not been that impressed with low light, but I have been impressed with the dynamic range. Really good stuff at low ISO.
I've always been a P&S guy even before digital cameras came out. Back in HS, I never left the house without one of those cheap disposable P&S cameras. I didn't buy my first DSLR until 2008. I bought my first digicam in 2000 (Olympus D460). I upgrade maybe every 2 years. I should just take those off the gear list since I don't use it anymore. :lol: The other P&S are mostly used by the wifey. But now I have two bodies, she uses the other sometimes.

I don't really care much about image quality all the time. If I'm just going out with friends, I don't feel the need to lug around a big camera. A small P&S inside my pocket is enough for me. But the Canon S95 or S100 may fit the bill. Very compact and shoots RAW and great ISO performance.
Pretty simple: a sensor 4/3 or larger, ability to swap lenses and, most important of all, it has to be dust & weatherproof (along with the lenses). Unfortunately, there are virtually no DSLRs on the market that fit that bill. That's why I shoot with an Olympus DSLR. I might be tempted to get the Oly EM-5 when it is released, but I'd need to see lots of user reports first. That would at least shrink the body size down for me, although I'd still be using very large & heavy DSLR glass on it.

Aren't cameras great?
I was really thinking about moving to Micro 4/3. Then I ended up buying a bigger body (60D) :lol: And now that I have two bodies, I need to get another flashgun :roll:

Cameras are great and expensive :lol: I need to start selling body parts to keep up.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:15 am

I actually prefer the big bodies when shooting, but the small bodies for portability. Both my parents were semi-pro photographers, but I never really got into it until digital. It was just so annoying having a camera along, but only so many rolls of film. Back then, I would rarely take a picture of anything to conserve the film. Then you had the wait until they were processed & the expense of doing so. Nowadays, I don't hold back at all.

I've been eyeballing the new Nikon D800, but just don't know if I can justify the expense of getting one. It'll cost $6k+ for the body and 2 decent lenses, but I still wouldn't feel confident shooting in the rain or dust. That 5D mark II at the new $2100 price is also pretty appealing. I'll most likely end up with the new Oly instead. Who knows (sigh)?

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:28 am

How about the Fuji X-Pro1? But I don't think it would survive extreme weather conditions :lol: I was going to suggest some rangefinder type cameras (Lieca M8 or Fuji X100), but you can't swap lenses.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:34 pm

FLiPMaRC wrote:How about the Fuji X-Pro1? But I don't think it would survive extreme weather conditions :lol: I was going to suggest some rangefinder type cameras (Lieca M8 or Fuji X100), but you can't swap lenses.
That Fuji could be quite nice, but I'm just not a prime kind of guy since I need a variety of focal lengths available while out and about. And yes, there's the whole lack of weathersealing issue again. It's frustrating.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:05 pm

nikon d7000 & d80 (backup)
tamron 17-50 2.8 & 28-75 2.8
nikkor 80-200 2.8D
nikkor 50 1.8D
sb800 speedlight
bunch of ndf and cpl filters
4x 300ws studio strobes & and bunch of gels
misc softboxes and umbrellas (just got a 5ft reflecting umbrella! :) )
bunch of 6-9ft stands
vagabond II
ebay 100m radio poppers

big bag to carry all cameras and lenses, and a small bag for 1 body + lenses

Return to “Photo Gallery”